LED indicators, do i still need a load balancer?

chopper

Club Member
Anyone replaced the stock indicators, stop and tails etc? I want to change out fronts at least, maybe rears as well onthe sport Glide.

question is will i need a load balancer or the like or will a modern bike deal with it? fronts are standard bulbs, rears are all LED's already so i would have hoped no need????

Without knowing the year of your bike so I could check the wiring diagram all I will say is if your bike has a BCM then you will not need load balancers, it has the capability to learn.

However I have read on some bikes the way the bike works the dash lights might still flash at a higher rate.

If changing the fronts to LED on an M8 engined bike, change both units then switch ignition on and hazards. Leave on hazards for a couple of minutes and the bcm will perform the adaptation to learn the new LED front signals. As long as the learning process is completed, there shouldn’t be any need for load resistors and you shouldn’t get any hyperflash on either the units or dash lights. The rear units should be a straightforward swap.

If changing the fronts to LED on an M8 engined bike, change both units then switch ignition on and hazards. Leave on hazards for a couple of minutes and the bcm will perform the adaptation to learn the new LED front signals. As long as the learning process is completed, there shouldn’t be any need for load resistors and you shouldn’t get any hyperflash on either the units or dash lights. The rear units should be a straightforward swap.
perfect, thanks

As per Mark Hammonds response I fitted some Drag Spec front LEDs to the Softail Slim ( Considerably Cheaper than the Heinz or Thunderbike versions with Drag Specs ones if the below style is what you require) and followed the Reprogramming Procedure without any issues.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 132138.jpgYou already have LEDs turn signals at the rear you just need to reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM) to let it know there are LEDs fitted to the front as the BCM controls and monitors the Turn signal operation.

I followed the below Custom Dynamics instructions to do this.

https://www.customdynamics.com/media/wysiwyg/CANBUS_TS_SYNC.pdf

If you want to replace the number plate capless incandescent lamps with LEDs they are LED W5W 501.

IMAG1445.jpg

Yes i have something very similar to those already that will attach to, i guess, the mirror mounts, bought them for the FXR a couple of years ago and ended up going with the Kellerman Alto's instead so been sitting in the spares box for a while, came via china and ebay but seem good quality bright LED's and nicely made cases, cant remeber what i paid for them but sure it wasnt much over £20 so we will see how good they are!

fitted and learning sequence performed, they flash as they should but the dash lights double flash, was out for a ride saturday and everything works as it should, cancelling etc just the double flash which im not fussed about to be honest. They were only cheap so thats probably why.
At some point ill also change the rears for something and will put something better on the front at the same time.IMG_5304.jpeg

fitted and learning sequence performed, they flash as they should but the dash lights double flash
As I pointed out in my first comment above.

The thing is there is a disconnect between the indicators and the dash lights. The BCM sends a CAN bus message to the speedo on some or IM (indicator module, instrument module?) on others which is obviously different to powering on the indicators. It is a strange bug HD has there.

Last edited:
I would suggest you give it another go at the learning sequence leaving the hazards running for at least the two minutes but more like five and see what happens.

I would suggest you give it another go at the learning sequence leaving the hazards running for at least the two minutes but more like five and see what happens.
when the hazards run the lights flash on the dash as they should, its only when each indicator is used that they double flash

when the hazards run the lights flash on the dash as they should, its only when each indicator is used that they double flash
as said, you typically don't require a load balancer on M8 bikes when switching to LED, you perform the rain-dance and they sync.... however, wifes 2019 Street Bob has the same minor issue as yours in that her Heinz Bikes front indicators and Kodlin rears flash correctly, but the dash indicator does double time when signalling (not on hazard).

Has your Sport Glide thrown DTC's as well? (CHECK ENGINE led visible)

After installing LED turn signals you will find BCM codes b2151. b2156 for the rear and b2141, b2146 for the front. These codes accompanied with a rapid indicator flash on the dash and a red security light. Performing this BCM turn signal sync will resolve this symptom.

the rain-dance
Syncing the BCM:

- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, do not start the bike.
- Turn the Hazard Lights (4-Way Flashers) ON.
- Turn the ignition to the OFF position leaving the Hazard Lights flashing.
- Let the hazard Lights flash for 2 minutes.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, do not start the bike.
- Turn the Hazard Lights (4-Way Flashers) OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Open circuit reported as the BCM is detecting not enough current is flowing as is the case with incandescent bulbs so the codes make sense.

I believe BCM faults are signalled by the security light in the speedo, a red dot or key symbol not by the CEL.

Turning on the ignition and not immediately starting the engine the light comes on solid and then 3 or 4 seconds later goes off. It might come back on after maybe 4 or 5 seconds but it then might turn off indicating a stored fault. I have read after so many cycles of the ignition if the fault is not present the stored fault might clear on its own.

Last edited:
Without knowing the year of your bike so I could check the wiring diagram all I will say is if your bike has a BCM then you will not need load balancers, it has the capability to learn.

However I have read on some bikes the way the bike works the dash lights might still flash at a higher rate.
This is true my bike does the same

I found the cheaper ones I fitted quite dim for LED so have just fitted a set of kellerman Attos, used them on the FXR and was very impressed with how bright they are for their size.
After performing the same learning process the dash lights no longer double flash 👌

My indicator dash light double flashes on my RK after I fitted very small custom front LEDs I've tried what has been described on this thread but it ain't changed

Back