New Battery required

Gez

Club Member
Looks like the battery has finally given up (2018 FXLR Low Rider). I've suspected it's been on its way out for a while now.
Anyway, I would prefer to fit a HD replacement, unless anyone can persuade me to consider one of equal performance/reliability thats cheaper?

We've had many forum discussions on this subject - if you put in the search engine "battery" hopefully you will be able see. There are alternative batteries, some much cheaper like Motobatt or Yuasa. As to whether they are any better is debatable - if you are looking to change your bike in the next year or so I would go for a heavy duty Motobatt personally. However, if your bike is a keeper and you want proven longevity then get a factory replacement from your H-D dealer.

A few on here have got Motobatt Batteries. I can't remember if anyone had a problem with them. I am sure if someone has had problems they will let you know. Mine has been fine.

Motobatt are the best value out there, IMHO, don't do the Halfords Yuasa if you get dodge it, quite a week battery.

My last Yuasa battery lasted 9 years, replaced it with a Motobatt because I couldn't get another Yuasa at the time.
Obviously,life depends on how much you use your bike.
Motobatt has been good so far.

Well Gaz, you've had plenty of good advice from members of this club, you should now be in a position to make an informed decision. Do let us all know what you decide and keep in touch.

Waiting for Luke at Sycamore HD to get back to me (they're closed today). On the HD website it says the battery can only be bought in store only. Would that mean that it couldn't be sent for delivery to me I wonder?
Whatever the price, I'll be going for the HD one I reckon.
Half the problem is that I don't use the bike enough (kiwidave). Optimate is no substitute for regular decent rides out, using the Optimate in between rides.
Thanks all for the advice. Will keep in touch Rick.

Battery removed. What a faff! Alarm siren caught me out when I disconnected the negative terminal! Had to go to siren page in handbook, read it, (switch kill switch to "run" then disconnect negative). All this time the siren was going. Anyway, few sparks when disconnecting negative (doesn't seem like the best way to do it but thats what the book says). Grappled the battery out finally.

Well you should turn the bike on to disarm the security system and then pull the main fuse.

When you fit the battery have the main fuse out.

Batteries can be shipped and filled. It used to be the case that the user would fill the battery to activate it but due to acid attacks that stopped although I think some suppliers are not adhering and sending out batteries dry charged with the acid pack.

It HD haven't updated that information may still be working on the basis of non sealed batteries.

Battery removed. What a faff! Alarm siren caught me out when I disconnected the negative terminal! Had to go to siren page in handbook, read it, (switch kill switch to "run" then disconnect negative). All this time the siren was going. Anyway, few sparks when disconnecting negative (doesn't seem like the best way to do it but thats what the book says). Grappled the battery out finally.
Definitely a faff , I didn’t know I had a siren until I went to change the battery on my Lowrider.

My bike maybe slightly different being keyless ignition but when I turn it off the siren chirps with the indicator flash when the system arms or disarms.

If I was you I would check with the manual to see if the system is in chirpless mode.

Ordered battery from Sycamore HD on Tuesday (24th Oct), next day delivery at a fair price that included the delivery.
It was only showing about 12.3 V (about half charged) so had it on the Optimate for about 14 Hrs. (the instructions say ready to go straight out of the box). Fitted today (Thurs 26th). Started and charging OK. Just need to make sure I ride it more now, as well as using the Optimate at every opportunity!

All other batteries come with the same instructions that they should be fully charged before first use which may be a throw-back to them coming dry charged and need to be activated (filled and charged).

One of the main reasons to fully charger a battery before use is all batteries will gradually discharge over time and it has always been best practice to start off with a fully charged battery. Certain batteries when subjected to heavy loads when discharged or partially discharged can lead to damage and permanent capacity loss, any testing of the electrical systems usually calls for a fully charged battery and certain operations require the full to normal battery voltage.

Reference:-

Yuasa Handbook

"Factory activated batteries
Most Yuasa AGM batteries are available either “factory activated” or as a dry battery with
an acid pack. A “factory activated” battery does not require filling before installation. An
extensive activation process ensures complete absorption of the electrolyte so no liquid
acid is contained within the battery. This process allows these batteries to be shipped
from the factory ready to install."

Screenshot 2023-10-26 163346.jpg

So you know the harley oem battery is a re clad yuasa or maybe most of you didnt know. It might be expensive but its one of the best lead acid batteries on the planet. Motobatt batteries are dogpoop they lack decent cca (y)

Having owned a Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 and a current Griso Ghetto forum member, though heavily lambasted for my outspoken defence of anything the heirarchy deemed unacceptable. The one outstanding conclusion was that Motobatt batteries fail consistantly, service life often being as short as a couple years. Big guzzis do take their toll on batteries and italian electrics are the most suspect on the planet, its well documented. They may brand them as having high CCA though holding onto that power seems inconsistant. Yuasa being a UK manufactured battery on the other hand has been held in high esteem since the 80's. Harley batteries have often been thought to be rebranded Yuasa and a google search will compound this. I personally being a tight arse went out of my way to defend Motobatts claimed CCA output and a few others owning them did the same. My own Motobatt did struggle to retain its CCA after a couple years. Harley batteries even if kept in a council garage and only removed off the bike and charged in the winter can see them still lasting up to 5 years. I went the way of Yuasa though my mate flogged my battery on for another couple years on his 1100 Griso as he is even tighter than I am, he had a relay I made and fitted for him which helped his bike overcome the low output of the battery at the solenoid, starting the thing with as low 11.7volts. "You pays yer money you takes yer chances"

So you know the harley oem battery is a re clad yuasa or maybe most of you didnt know. It might be expensive but its one of the best lead acid batteries on the planet. Motobatt batteries are dogpoop they lack decent cca (y)
Your research is not up to date the current and OEM supplier of batteries for big twin & Sportsters has not been Yuasa for considerable years, around two decades it has been Deka, manufactured by the East Penn Manufacturing.

Back