New Battery required

Seems to be lots of storage issues with no power supply in here i have a softail under wraps for someone detained at hmp at my storage the original battery’s 9 yrs old and kept alive with a run every now and again and one of these……IMG_1335.png

Your research is not up to date the current and OEM supplier of batteries for big twin & Sportsters has not been Yuasa for considerable years, around two decades it has been Deka, manufactured by the East Penn Manufacturing.
It is a bit confusing and according to Google, Deka did make Harley batteries, but this article from 2023 says Yuasa and Antgravity.

The 'Devil' is always in the detail, you only have to supply the batteries for one model or as a genuine replacement part to be classed as an OEM supplier!

Whilst Yuasa (GS Batteries) even on their WWW sites state 'OEM battery supplier' to Harley-Davidson it is not quantified, it is certainly true they do still supply batteries to them, however they did lose 'that' for the Big Twins and Sportsters to Deka for new bikes around the last twenty years, whether this has changed back this year will be hard to verify, mainly due to contractual reasons as most companies do not publish that sort of thing for commercial reasons!

There are plenty of, again 3rd party information, stating Deka (East Penn) are or up to now at least, have been the OEM supplier for the Big Twins & Sportsters, but nothing on their parent company or www site, to confirm this, but even if it did, would not necessarily confirm them as the sole supplier or not, either way. H-D will not say either.

The other point often is, where a manufacturer has a part or in this case a battery designed for their specific use & specification, contractually the supplier cannot sell that exact same item independently, this can be a simple as the markings on the case or can cover internal construction, technology and or size & specification.

An example of this would be when Yuasa were the Big Twin & Sportster supplier of the pre AGM Yumicron series batteries for Sportsters, Softails & FXRs, the YUASA off the shelf equivalent had no H-D markings, a lighter coloured case and had push in filler caps where as the H-D version had screw in ones.

As I have said before, with a battery it is all a about what is inside & selecting the right type & specification for what it is going to be used for that makes the difference, but basically a good battery will not be cheap and does need to be maintained to last!

Last edited:
Your research is not up to date the current and OEM supplier of batteries for big twin & Sportsters has not been Yuasa for considerable years, around two decades it has been Deka, manufactured by the East Penn Manufacturing.
I don't for a minute doubt any research I've done is no longer up to date, bit like my aged brain, read somewhere Motobatt was a subsiduary of Yuasa their budget brand hence the budget pricing. Sad that harley no longer use Yuasa but I suppose like everything else they are producing budgets are getting tighter and tighter.

It does open up thoughts on how HD determine their quality criteria against profit and economics.

From what I know their OEM batteries have always been considered high quality and many on here and other forums have clarified this. HD are obviously serious about their choice of batteries and they don't want any fuck ups.

What is interesting is that East Penn is a family owed US business since 1946, with a huge factory in Pennsylvania. From a marketing perspective, it would make sense for HD to be partnered with such a company. However, it may not make economic sense, so maybe just use them for a proportion of batteries, so it's out there for the "good ol boys".

Meanwhile, Yuasa stays on the line.

Just my thoughts - could be a load of bollocks.

It does open up thoughts on how HD determine their quality criteria against profit and economics.

From what I know their OEM batteries have always been considered high quality and many on here and other forums have clarified this. HD are obviously serious about their choice of batteries and they don't want any fuck ups.

What is interesting is that East Penn is a family owed US business since 1946, with a huge factory in Pennsylvania. From a marketing perspective, it would make sense for HD to be partnered with such a company. However, it may not make economic sense, so maybe just use them for a proportion of batteries, so it's out there for the "good ol boys".

Meanwhile, Yuasa stays on the line.

Just my thoughts - could be a load of bollocks.
Recon your right sounds like the bean counters in accounts are making themslves busy again 🤔

Seems to be lots of storage issues with no power supply in here i have a softail under wraps for someone detained at hmp at my storage the original battery’s 9 yrs old and kept alive with a run every now and again and one of these……
Having a Council garage and no mains electricity, got my girlfriend to buy me one of these for this Christmas, obviously I got it now as need it now! Got me the 20w version as more oomph to it, am just in the process of fitting a capped plug to the bobs side panel (this very moment as my 18mm hole cutter finally turned up). Here's a pic of it fitted to the back wall of the ajoining garage, prior to me fitting another 15ft extention then a 4ft extention to relocate a proper installation inside the garage
(y)400300185_750608453557988_6608747824225449753_n.jpg20231211_221740.jpg20231125_164013.jpg

Last edited:
Having a Council garage and no mains electricity, got my girlfriend to buy me one of these for this Christmas, obviously I got it now as need it now! Got me the 20w version as more oomph to it, am just in the process of fitting a capped plug to the bobs side panel (this very moment as my 18mm hole cutter finally turned up). Here's a pic of it fitted to the back wall of the ajoining garage, prior to me fitting another 15ft extention then a 4ft extention to relocate a proper installation inside the garage
(y)View attachment 1198390View attachment 1198392
Got mine bolted to steel plate flat on roof for maximum sun in the valley gets it from all angles that way keeps my mates harley and nikkies sporty charged plus mine by having two of em good kit (y)

Got mine bolted to steel plate flat on roof for maximum sun in the valley gets it from all angles that way keeps my mates harley and nikkies sporty charged plus mine by having two of em good kit (y)
Did consider something similar though did think maybe stuff thrown up there, kids walking on the roof and birds pooping on it so mounted it south facing wall.

Back