New Phishing Attack - protect yourself

Roger

Club Member
Phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and, indirectly, money), often for malicious reasons, by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. In this new attack, it looks like a trustworthy site

Click on this demo web page

If the address bar shows https:\\apple.com, then your browser is being fooled.

The latest version of Internet Explorer should be OK and you can protect Firefox by doing the following:

1. Type about:config in address bar and press enter.
  2. Type Punycode in the search bar.
  3. Browser settings will show parameter titled: network.IDN_show_punycode, double-click or right-click and select Toggle to change the value from false to True

There is currently no fix in for this in Chrome or Opera - so be be careful

Re: New Phishing Attack - protect yourself

Now that is clever.

It fooled my tablet browser as well.

Hi Roger, when i clicked the link i got a web page saying "Hey there". The address was "https://www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com/". I am using Chrome?

Chrome have just released Version 58.0.3029.81 which now fixes the vulnerability :)

How can I find if I've got this please Roger?

How can I find if I've got this please Roger?

Depending on the current version of Google Chrome on your computer, to view the About page, click the Menu icon near the top right corner of the Chrome window (just below the X button that closes the window). In older versions of Chrome, select About Google Chrome in the menu. In newer versions of Chrome, select Help and about, then select About Google Chrome.
chromeme2.jpg
chromeme3.jpg

It'll then show you the version you have. If still unsure just down load it again

Last edited:

Thanks too from me Tom. My lap top uses firefox and needed sorting via your instructions - all is now good. My eldest daughters lap top uses chrome and needed sorting via your instructions to update to latest version which it did automatically once in 'about google chrome' - all is now good.
Will this effect Kindle fire too ?
Hodgie.

Thanks too from me Tom. My lap top uses firefox and needed sorting via your instructions - all is now good. My eldest daughters lap top uses chrome and needed sorting via your instructions to update to latest version which it did automatically once in 'about google chrome' - all is now good.
Hodgie.

Not perfectly sure as I've never used Kindles but I do know that their operating system is Android - same as android phones. In which case it will be down to the internet browser you use on the kindle. Same as on your laptop ie. you may be running Windows 10 but it's your internet browser that is the problem.

I would say that if any devices use Chrome, or Firefox then the new version should be downloaded and used.

Last edited:

Hodgie.

It affects any device that can access the Internet. If you click on the demo page link (post #1). If it shows in the address bar as apple.com, then you are vulnerable.

Hodgie.

Kindle fire (silk browser) fails the test. As i have just found out

Kindle fire (silk browser) fails the test. As i have just found out

Know absolutely feck all about 'Silk' browser which means if I don't understand it, I don't like it.. If it was mine I'd install Google Play Store anyway (as it's android ) and then I can have whatever browser I wanted plus more games etc

Know absolutely feck all about 'Silk' browser which means if I don't understand it, I don't like it.. If it was mine I'd install Google Play Store anyway (as it's android ) and then I can have whatever browser I wanted plus more games etc

Its Amazon. You don't get an option.

Anything for Opera because I get the dodgy apple page?

Version information

Version:44.0.2510.1218 (PGO) - Opera is up to date
Update stream:Stable
System:Windows 10 64-bit (WoW64)

Anything for Opera because I get the dodgy apple page?

Version information

Version:44.0.2510.1218 (PGO) - Opera is up to date
Update stream:Stable
System:Windows 10 64-bit (WoW64)

Not yet

When on firefox my security software has blocked it so i gues it`s doing its job?
Ade

On mobile I'm getting forward slashes on Firefox - is this OK

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back