New Sportster exhaust system

Andy, The header section was no trouble at all, went straight into place, you should not have to force this, just a careful juggle. I do advise new flange retaining rings, as you will have to use the flanges from your factory exhaust, and obviously new flange gaskets, but it was an easy system to fit

Thank you, that is what I was expecting. Noted on the flange rings. I have fitted new port gaskets.

Mine it appears then is out of shape for some reason. I will have to return it. Good job I didn't fit the flanges and rings.

Just a thought remove the foot peg and tilt headers almost horizontal and lead it in from the base of the cylinders pushing upwards and lowering collector section at the same time when your in the ports then slide the flanges onto the studs see if this method works fitted a fair few of these over the years never had a set that were out of true the collector section runs very close to the casing try putting the nuts on the studs then slip the muffler on and the muffler bolts then tighten starting at exhaust port it will change the angle of the collector and bring the muffler into line always start at front pot nip down then rear then front again the pipe will adjust itself as the gaskets crush to give proper alignment last bolt to tighten is the muffler slider bolt wipe down with glass cleaner to remove finger prints warm and nip up using same sequence hope this gives you the answer :encouragement:

Thank you. It was easy to get the headers past the cylinders and inline with the ports. I located one side and then looking at the other side it was down diagonally toward me by about 10mm. As I gently pushed the header up to fit in the port it pulled the other side out of the port.

I could of possibly put a flange on and then muscled the other side into place but I think that would of put some stress on the pipes.

As noted by Dredger there shouldn't be any force required.

I have returned them as I think there is a problem with them.

Yup can be tight. Slot in the front first & the rear should slot in ok. I seem to remember a bit of a struggle 1st time. Just had them off last week but they re seated fine. All be it a struggle to get the clamps back on the head studs. Worth the effort though.

That's kind of the problem they didn't slot in ok. To my mind there would have been some stress and with vibrations and bouncing around it might have caused a stress fracture. If anything I would have expected to have had to pull them just a hair apart such that they held themselves in the ports.

Back