Oil pressure 1987 evo engine

Deanokidd

Club Member
Morning all,

What should my oil pressure be when hot? It’s a 83 Electra glide fitted with evo engine from a 87 fsxt.

When hot my oil light is coming on, just about to connect my pressure gauge.

Thanks in advance.

Is it just coming on at tick over? does it go out as soon as the revs rise above 1000/1200 rpm.

You'll end up frightening your self with a gauge. On these engines flow is much more important than pressure. The pump is trying to develop pressure against a plain bearing on the end of the crank and plain bearings in the cylinder head so as the engine warms up clearances get bigger and pressure reduces. Could be you need to replace your pressure switch. One of the great problems with Harleys are the folks that want a low tick over.......no pressure, no flow and very bad for engines.

Hi all,

I’ve just put my oil pressure gauge on at 1000rpm idle I have 0 pressure, at 2000rpm it starts to creep up and doesn’t get to 5psi 🤦🏻‍♂️

Is it just coming on at tick over? does it go out as soon as the revs rise above 1000/1200 rpm.
To begin with it’s just on idle and then goes out, after riding for a while it was on all the time. This is with new oil and filter. It was doing before oil and filter change too.

Is it a low pressure specific gauge? if it is one that reads from 0-60psi it will probably not be accurate enough to give you any meaningful reading

It is a 0-100psi gauge so maybe not good enough, but given I have just ridden 50miles home like it on the motorway with no nasty noises I hoping it can’t be that bad.

I had all this with my 1978 gs750 suzuki, which is also a engine running large roller bearing crank. oil volume is a lot more important than pressure. when hot you really need a gauge that only reads from 0#15 psi. It could be just the switch.

gs750 in church.jpg

If your oil pressure is too low the 1st thing you will notice will be noisy tappets, they are fed directly through a screen from the pump. They need a certain amount of pressure to operate. Look in your oil tank and check return flow before panicking.

My 1991 Evo says that at 2000rpm oil pressure should be 12 - 35 psi.

Suggest you check your tappet oil screen filter as that is in the high pressure oil circuit where the oil pressure switch is (its the big screw in the timing cone) - if its full of crap it will cut pressure to the top end drastically.

I had all this with my 1978 gs750 suzuki, which is also a engine running large roller bearing crank. oil volume is a lot more important than pressure. when hot you really need a gauge that only reads from 0#15 psi. It could be just the switch
Going by the picture your either the vicar or you know them very well.

Wait up have you changed the oil filter ? if so where did you get it ? Most of harleys parts men will just give you a stock twin cam filter which is too restrictive as the pumps are different and a twin cam filter strangles the flow leading to what you describe home tomorrow and will look up the filter number for you to check unless one of the lads following this knows the right part number with_glasses

I got this from Maidstone H-D: Oil Filter Part No. 63798-99A
“Fits '17-later Milwaukee-Eight®, '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution„¢models (except '08-'13 XR) and can be used as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.”
Please check as I am not an expert on Evo Oil Filters. 😳

They all fit, BUT!! 63805-80A is a 30 Micron filter for Shovels and evo engines, I think you have a 5 micron one, this is more than probably too fine for the oil pump in your engine.
Evo oil pumps work well enough within the design of the engine. Later filters can cause real problems.
I could be wrong, I often am, but I would NOT use that filter on an evo.
Don't trust HD on this one.

Back