Power commander or screamin eagle tuner

Re: Power commander or screamin eagle tuner

We've fitted dozens, upon dozens or PCIII's and PCV's, plus a few dozen ThunderMax's and relavnt assorted add ons - never had any issues, over the fitting, the tune and subsequent punters use. We don't fit V&H Fuel Paks or SE Tuners, as we believe (as do most other professional tuner's) that they are not as good - or at least as not as good value for money. You can dwell on things like this infinitum - but to us very simple decisions - regardless, your call - pop in for a chat if you like.

We've fitted dozens, upon dozens or PCIII's and PCV's, plus a few dozen ThunderMax's and relavnt assorted add ons - never had any issues, over the fitting, the tune and subsequent punters use. We don't fit V&H Fuel Paks or SE Tuners, as we believe (as do most other professional tuner's) that they are not as good - or at least as not as good value for money. You can dwell on things like this infinitum - but to us very simple decisions - regardless, your call - pop in for a chat if you like.
I'd be more interested in your opinion if you were to post other than to promote your shop (having checked your previous posts).

Just because you happen to make more money out of selling Power Commanders doesn't mean they are better. They are a cheap solution that suits some tuners because they don't need to understand the bike they are tuning.

Update on my Thundermax with Autotune...

Took all of half an hour to install albeit it went on as the bike went back together after the engine work. Took five minutes to initialise the system, select the basemap and load it into the module. Hit the start button and...spot on starting.

Since then it has done a complete total of bugger all miles on a dyno.

Initially I read out the offsets and rewrote them as the new basemap three times. I've got another one to do now I've come back from Spain/France/Germany and have some higher rpm's to add.

Target AFR is 13.0:1. The bike runs nice and cool and is very smooth. I am getting between 10 and 11 miles per litre of fuel (46 mpg in old money) up to 90 mph.

The first couple of times you go through a particular rev range, the fuelling has a think about things because it changes the map. Once the offsets are calculated, you can feel the change straight away. Do it a few times and it is nicely smooth.

A good example of this is in the higher rpms. When I went on the Autobahn, at first the bike struggled to get passed 117mph. Using a lower gear and gently accelerating through the higher rpms, I was able to get the offsets calculated and the bike was then able to pull sweetly up to 133mph. Now it fairly flies through the revs in any gear. I'll be going back in September to see if I can hit the 145mph it hits the rev limiter at, in top gear.

No idea what torque/hp is being delivered but I know there is more in there. Mind you, I'd say that about any engine! Having said that, I am very pleasantly surprised how well things have adjusted without any professional dyno tuning. Anyone who is half competent with a laptop can use one of these.

The only weakness I can see is that if the battery gets disconnected, the module needs to be reinitialised. I'm guessing the module may think this scenario has happened if trying to start the bike with a dodgy battery and the voltage drops below xV. I hasten to add I have no proof of this, its just something I thought of.

Another thing that stands out for me is how accurate the speedo is. When you set up the Thundermax you select a speedo config. So far the speedo has been within 1mph or less than my SatNav at all times. Very handy to know.

In conclusion, the Thundermax with Autotune can be fitted at home, set up at home and the bike ridden away and enjoyed.

Last edited:
Back