Project SX250 it begins

Oddjob

I had a good day on the "other" project yesterday, the SX250. It took me back to the old days of FS1E's and DT Yammys, 2 stroke oil and 10mm spanners.

It's Missing the exhaust shield, if anyone has one "tucked away" I'm interested.

DSCN0335_zpsd4e43993.jpg

My garage is a bit crowded, but I can work around it.

DSCN0336_zps1abec285.jpg

Seat off, I'm missing a side panel but I've sourced one on Ebay.

DSCN0339_zps6b9f9857.jpg

Lots of corrosion just starting to take hold, but the tins are in good nick. Loads of mud and dust under the mudguards.

DSCN0342_zps6d7023bc.jpg

Carb intact apart from a broken choke lever.

DSCN0346_zps87567670.jpg

Here it is in 2 boxes ready for cleaning and restoring.

DSCN0373_zpscad09f2f.jpg

I'd had a go at the seized engine in the frame, but had no luck. Left the piston and bore soaking in penetrating oil for a week but it still wouldn't turn.

DSCN0375_zps8521f09e.jpg

The frame isn't too bad.

DSCN0376_zps74fd7209.jpg

Apart from the stand mounting has snapped off, and the side stand is missing, but I picked up a Cagiva one with the same mount, so a bit of grinding and welding should sort it.

DSCN0377_zps64fa5e6b.jpg

It must be a weak spot, it's only pressed steel although it looks like tube.

DSCN0378_zps7663fe32.jpg

Head off, but still won't budge.

DSCN0382_zpsa65d416b.jpg

Very little effort for the press and the piston starts to move.

DSCN0386_zps63006d3a.jpg

You can just see the piston skirt sliding out of the liner. The con rod is a bit rusty, its obviously been stood for years.

DSCN0387_zps99fa8034.jpg

Barrel off, the piston is covered in "gum" and oxidisation.

DSCN0388_zps7d5548cb.jpg

The bore is in surprisingly good nick. I'll give it a clean, and see what it comes out like.

DSCN0390_zps3b532e84.jpg

Off to the powder coaters for the frame, swinging arm and brackets, the wheel hubs are in good condition but the rims are shot, anybody recommend a supplier?

More to come ..............

Re: Project SX250 it begins

I used to lust after one of those in my school days, nice one.
Is the bore plated? They can be re coated if it is.

I used to lust after one of those in my school days, nice one.

I was 17 in '75, but never really noticed the Harleys, I always wanted a Honda SL250 in silver with a red pinstripe.

Is the bore plated? They can be re coated if it is.

Its chrome, I've read about "Nikasil" which is supposed to be a lot tougher. I think the piston and rings are going to prove harder to source.

There's a bead blasting cabinet at Chateau Loukes if you need one.....

Steve

Good luck ,will get back on with mine i think...:eek:
Just confused myself with bits in boxes and not entirely sure which goes where...
Got a lot of bits and pieces including wheels but seem to have become a hoarder.

Try these they often have parts in for SS or SX.......They are good at taking offers as well .good service....
There are a couple of complete wheels on there....

items in store on eBay!

Last edited:

Well today I tackled the broken side stand mount. Making a template from cardboard first.

DSCN1223_zpsf4cc7659.jpg

I decided to toughen the mount by using double thickness 3mm plate

DSCN1226_zpse158db88.jpg

DSCN1229_zps185f58ff.jpg

DSCN1231_zpsc2691f86.jpg

DSCN1234_zpsc5834d40.jpg

Needs a bit of tidying and a final weld.

DSCN1237_zps58ba19bf.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing one of those, or knowing anyone who had one.... but the 250cc and 350cc 4-strokes were good little bikes. I'd be tempted by one if those ...

Looking good Paul, no room in my garage to do anything so sorting out another garage for the garden to start on the ironhead, we will have to get out on the little ones, your sx and my newly acquired Mt!

<notes name of someone who can weld in notebook>........

Looking good Paul, no room in my garage to do anything so sorting out another garage for the garden to start on the ironhead, we will have to get out on the little ones, your sx and my newly acquired Mt!

Sounds good mate, will the Mrs let you have a garage in the garden?? Better get one big enough for a bed as well. :)

I'm getting a bit short of space (bits and bikes everywhere) so it'll help to get the frame in for powder coating this week now I've got the welding sorted I can get the motor stripped and see what I'm up against.

Will she let me have a garage on the garden! Too bloody true , hard work getting dressed in the shed in the morning showing my arse to the neighborhood through the 6x4 shed window!:D

Started the engine strip today.

DSCN1242_zpse3d71181.jpg

Clutch looks in good condition

DSCN1244_zps012e01c6.jpg

But the crankcase is full of muddy water

DSCN1252_zpsb83adf64.jpg

Not got to the gear clusters though ......

DSCN1253_zps9899a85b.jpg

Con rod bearings shot ..

DSCN1254_zps96de2892.jpg

Job on ....

DSCN1258_zpsa85e1931.jpg

Looking good so far Paul.
Great thread with some good pictures and writeups.
Stick at it mate, it'll be good to see the final version on the road again,after it's VOSA inspection of course! :smile:

Back