Riding in bus lanes

Surveys - Surveillance.
Each time I attempt to load that Gov. site, my VPN kicks out.

Got it fourth time.

London Dave is so right about applying caution with them in London, the last time I rode in there was for the last of Vince's fantastic Assembly custom shows in the catacombs of House of Vans. I was merrily using them as I got closer until suddenly I noticed the motorbike symbol had gone.

London Dave is so right about applying caution with them in London, the last time I rode in there was for the last of Vince's fantastic Assembly custom shows in the catacombs of House of Vans. I was merrily using them as I got closer until suddenly I noticed the motorbike symbol had gone.
I seem to remember the original Bus Lane access for motorcycles in London was only on the Primary Roads i.e. A Roads (Red Routes) that TFL did not control and resisted Bus Lanes being opened to motorcycles on the Roads 'they' had control of and there is a somewhat legacy of this still remaining!

As Dave says you have to keep a constant watch on the signs and it is generally enforced by camera!

Off Elephant & Castle, St Georges Road, A302 fine... (y)

BL.jpg

Turn left into Lambeth Road, Bus Lane, 'Fine' as it's not fine.... :cry:

BL 1.jpg

I know this is an England only study at moment but Ive been done twice in Cardiff at a particular road that has a bus lane but then bus lane ends just before a left turn, if you pull in too early for the turn you get done.

I know this is an England only study at moment but Ive been done twice in Cardiff at a particular road that has a bus lane but then bus lane ends just before a left turn, if you pull in too early for the turn you get done.
Going back to 2003, there was (is?) a bus lane going down the one way Haymarket in Central London which had to be crossed if access to Orange Street was to be had. With buses flowing along said lane, that access could leave you in the flow of other traffic from behind. Not a safe situation to be in.

I'll just add here that certain cycling lobbies are very good, proactive and are adamant that motorcycles should not be allowed in Bus Lanes, they tried very hard when it was first partially introduced and will try to scupper the results, so do fill it in, well only if your are for MCs in Bus Lanes that is..... 😼

Last edited:
Decades ago (mid sixties) I cycled to work in Regent's Park from Wood Green along some of the busiest main throughfares; Green Lanes to Manor House; down to Finsbury Park; through Holloway and down to Camdem Town. No cycle lanes, no bus lanes, no problems. It was quicker than the bus and cheap as chips. Then I got a C15 which allowed me access to Muswell Hill, Highgate Woods and Hampstead Village, a bit quicker and less traffic.

Colin Brown speaks:

"Open until June, but don't leave it 'til tomorrow"
LoL !

Notice the time limitations in some bus lanes.

Further to Dave and Michael's replies this consultation is on whether to make access to bus lanes the default position. While motorcyclists have been able to use some bus lanes for some time, access is neither universal or consistent across local authority boundaries.

Therefore you wouldn't need to look for signs as you would have the right to use them if the consultation is positive.
I can't imagine 'default for bikers' working. As much as I want to support it and will add my tuppence worth. And I am speaking from a London perspective.
As I said, most bus lanes can be accessed by bikers, but I would imagine those closed to bikers must be for some safety reason or other. The authorities have banned us, in very few instances, for a reason, and why would that change if default became an option.
Mentally I'd still be checking every sign, certainly in a new area to me or one I hadn't ridden in a long time!

I can't imagine 'default for bikers' working. As much as I want to support it and will add my tuppence worth. And I am speaking from a London perspective.
As I said, most bus lanes can be accessed by bikers, but I would imagine those closed to bikers must be for some safety reason or other. The authorities have banned us, in very few instances, for a reason, and why would that change if default became an option.
Mentally I'd still be checking every sign, certainly in a new area to me or one I hadn't ridden in a long time!
That's the whole point Dave. It's asking for the default to be that we're allowed in them, unless there's a good reason why we shouldn't be. At present we're not really thought about until all of the designs are done, by which time our council at least, always opts for the narrowest (i.e. cheapest) spec. possible which also happens to be the spec that the institute of highway engineer's guidance suggests may not be suitable for motorcycles. No amount of evidence will change their minds at this point. This is only my experience mind. Gateshead Council has no bus lanes open to motorcycles, which is no doubt influenced by the head of the deciding department being a massive cycling fanatic who is systematically destroying the road network around the borough. :grumpy: Oops, went on a bit of a rant there :ROFLMAO:, sorry about that.

Back when I tainted the London region with my presence I used to regularly ride (Bantam or Electra) over the Hogarth flyover, a single lane single direction up and over the roundabout flyover made of wood and built as a temporary measure in the late sixties (!). Anyway, one time (on the Electra) I was followed over by a cop bike who then pulled me over beyond it. He explained that motorcycles were banned from it and I had a polite but enraged discussion about that and how stupid and car minded. He said I was wrong (not meaning legally, he meant about suitability for motorbikes) and he wouldn't ride over it, I obviously pointed out he'd done so to follow me and that revelation is probably why he sent me on my way. I continued to ride it out of stubbornness thereafter. I also replied to his claim that it was unsafe for bikes that it is far safer than negotiating the multiple lanes and traffic below it and that it was actually many times safer than the roundabout system. Just checked Google Earth and it is still there, one of our old members was actually responsible for overseeing the concrete footings and was told not to worry as it will be replaced in a couple of years!

Back