Riding in bus lanes

Back when I tainted the London region with my presence I used to regularly ride (Bantam or Electra) over the Hogarth flyover, a single lane single direction up and over the roundabout flyover made of wood and built as a temporary measure in the late sixties (!). Anyway, one time (on the Electra) I was followed over by a cop bike who then pulled me over beyond it. He explained that motorcycles were banned from it and I had a polite but enraged discussion about that and how stupid and car minded. He said I was wrong (not meaning legally, he meant about suitability for motorbikes) and he wouldn't ride over it, I obviously pointed out he'd done so to follow me and that revelation is probably why he sent me on my way. I continued to ride it out of stubbornness thereafter. I also replied to his claim that it was unsafe for bikes that it is far safer than negotiating the multiple lanes and traffic below it and that it was actually many times safer than the roundabout system. Just checked Google Earth and it is still there, one of our old members was actually responsible for overseeing the concrete footings and was told not to worry as it will be replaced in a couple of years!
Bikers have been banned from this ever since I first encountered it back in the mid 70's. But I have ridden over it numerous times and have not yet been caught doing so! I'm told the m/c cops would wait just past the bottom of it and pull you over.
For those of you not familiar - it's a one-way, single lane, metal girder, flyover of the roundabout. Only for cars and vans, coming into London.
It has simple but sturdy metal sides and could no doubt accept being sideswiped by a car. But its possible for a bike, on its side, to slide between the uprights and come crashing below. This would need exceptional timing and bad luck to achieve! Not impossible, but could happen - therefore the ban.
I have therefore avoided it, on a bike, and gone around the traffic light controlled roundabout, at night, if wet, or if there has been stationary cars on it - all other times I ride over it!

Re: the Hogarth flyover. Lost count of the times i've used that, and whether things have changed since the seventies I can't be certain, but the sign on the approach states motorcycles and cars only on the flyover:

Back