Should I Buy A Vrod??

E

evo12c

Hope someone can help me make my mind up, I am a bike mechanic working on a variety of bikes mainly BMW's ,but not harleys. I have always owned and loved my various harleys, Sportster, roadking and now a fatboy. I'm not sure if it's because I am on modern BMW and Jap bikes with modern technology but I am craving more power and smoother power at that, my fatboy is anything but stock nut I need more. I am considering a VRod and believe the horsepower figures are what I am looking for but I carry the mrs alot and the pillion riding position does not look good, the foot pegs look high I aint botherd about buying another seat but the riding position doesn't look good for the pillion. anyone got any ideas how I can get around this, or should I stray and buy a BMW or worse a riceburner.
andy!!

Re: Should I Buy A Vrod??

Which V-Rod have you been looking at? Foot pegs are different on different models. Original seats on V-Rods are not good for pillions, but there are a variety of seats you can get from H-D as well as after-market which are more suitable for pillion. Pillion foot-pegs can be easily moved if they are not in a comfortable position.

Personally, no-one rides on my V-Rod but me,:cool:

I own a Vrod had quite afew harleys now,but the vrod is not like any other harley,it is more like a jap bike.you would not have to repair it or even can any tools with you.They do not have the bottom end torque of say a Fat Boy ect,very difficalt to carry any luggage,the rear suspension is very poor and will bottem out with any weight on.The engine is very powerfull just get used to using a few more revs than the air cooled motors.
The VRod in the UK will loose money like it has gone out of fashion,I paid ?14000 for mine they were ?18000 when they first come out and now you can buy a new one for about ?10500-?11000.A second hand one ?7000 two year old 3000-4000 miles on the clock.Iam six foot tall and mine gives me a bad back after a long journey. Would I buy one again,no I dont think so but i cant sell it with out making a major loss:( .I am just buying my self another Buell so happy day are here again:D .

that's interesting Ian - I didnt realise that values had plunged like that and that you now seem to be wanting to call time on your experiment into the Revolution-engined world. Always wondered what you might think after a fair bit of time with it.

There's nothing like the real original air cooled HARLEY :cool:

Big_john Spain ;)

OZBIKE magazine road tested the V rod when they first came out and were far from complimentary about them however Bike magazine and teh rest of the EMAP publishing empire think they are the dogs bollix

Torque is the prime mover of weight and my 20 year old evo has more torque than a new V rod

The V rods rev well hence the japanese style horsepower delivery

Personally if I wanted that style of bike and that style of performance I'd buy a Yamaha V max

When Harley bring out a 1600cc version of the V rod I may change my mind but the engine at 1130cc is smaller and heavier than a sportster engine hence the buell engines are based on sportster engines

ian said:
I own a Vrod had quite afew harleys now,but the vrod is not like any other harley,it is more like a jap bike.you would not have to repair it or even can any tools with you.They do not have the bottom end torque of say a Fat Boy ect,very difficalt to carry any luggage,the rear suspension is very poor and will bottem out with any weight on.The engine is very powerfull just get used to using a few more revs than the air cooled motors.
The VRod in the UK will loose money like it has gone out of fashion,I paid ?14000 for mine they were ?18000 when they first come out and now you can buy a new one for about ?10500-?11000.A second hand one ?7000 two year old 3000-4000 miles on the clock.Iam six foot tall and mine gives me a bad back after a long journey. Would I buy one again,no I dont think so but i cant sell it with out making a major loss:( .I am just buying my self another Buell so happy day are here again.
To be accurate: the price over there was seriously higher than it ever was in the U.S. I bought my V-Rod in 2004 for $18,000 - the equivalent quid value at that time was about ?11,000, and is now about ?10,000. So it appears the current price over there, while still high, more clearly reflects the price they always should have been selling for over there, but were apparently ripping you off (a tactic I am given to understand is the chosen path for dealers over there). Anyone who paid ?18,000 for the initial bike should have gone into counseling first. If the price over here was anything like that, or probably even ?14,000, I never would have purchased it.

The price drop does also reflect MoCo's cynical side, where they used a higher initial price as a hedge on their investment, recognizing that initial sales would capture an audience of enraptured Harley owners, non-Harley riders and people new to motorcycling. Since there was likely to be substantial fall-out of initial purchasers, a future reduction in price would deter them from selling. It should be noted, that having amortized their investment, Harley has dropped the price over here too (about $1,300 for my model), but sales are higher than ever!:rolleyes: MoCo gouged the initial purchasers (including me), which should come as no surprise. Now that those initial purchasers have been drained, the current market buyers are more restrained (wiser), and MoCo has also reacted wisely.:(

Nevertheless, saying the V-Rod has gone out of fashion flies in the face of sales figures. Europe has become the primary market for the V-Rod with dramatically increased sales. In the U.K., this may not be entirely the case, as can be seen from the general reluctance of members of this forum to move into a more modern approach to H-D in biking. :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

As for comfort, I am more than satisfied with the V-Rod. In fact on rides of over 200 miles, I experience no feelings of being tired nor do I experience any pain (back or otherwise). When I compare its comfort with, say, my wife's Sportster, it is so vastly superior that it defies comparison! I should add that I'm no youngster, so problems in these areas would likely be intensified in my case.;)

The V-Rod does ride and handle differently from other Harleys - and certainly is not a crotch-rocket. The V-Rod was never meant to be a Buell - if that's your cup of tea then that's the bike you should buy. The V-Rod was intended to be a dragster (and does extraordinarily well in that regard). Its use as a touring bike must have raised eyebrows at MoCo. They have responded, however, by making a variety of models available to cater to the various markets that it is reaching. There are distinctive differences between the VRSCA, the Street Rod and the Night Rod. You should evaluate each carefully to see whether any of them is suitable for you.

The issue of torque is misleading. The V-Rod was built for speed, not house-moving as many of the old Harleys are. If you want to truck all your belongings around, perhaps you should be looking at an RK. The V-Max is just another house-mover.

The point here is, you need to decide for yourself whether or not the V-Rod meets your needs and desires. It is certainly not for everyone, but, I, for one, am delighted with it. And now, with the appearance of an after-market five gallon gas tank, the only real problem I had with the bike is being resolved.:D

Last edited:

Hi. I would second both USABear and Ian's opinion. Bought my vrsca in March 02 and paid 13995 for it then stage 1. have also along the way changed the wheels (dont like solids too much wind is a pain) along with the brake discs and pulley to match which was about 3k then custom paint job stainless belt guard, touring screen detachable and fitted up some qd sportster panniers coz the HD ones hold 1 sandwich only and cost about 2k so like ian have an investment approaching 18K and now the new ones are selling for around 10k have seen the value plummet which i am not amused about. Biggest problem is the fuel range about 100 miles which prevents serious touring although have been to Belguim, Darlington , Talgarth etc on it with no bother. I found the std seat arrangement fine although do have the optional passenger touring seat and a sissy bar etc to enhance that for passengers. on the plus side it goes like hell, handles well (i think Ian has eaten too many pies :D ) stops well and is a nice bike. Will it do what you want and will you like it? you need to try it, I think it is an excellent machine apart from the fuel tank range which is a pain. As Bear mentions this can now be sorted. However as most of my riding is touring i have put it up for sale. So if you want to buy one that is ready to rock pm me, ill send you some pics and we can talk about prices.

Mark dont get me wrong,I think the Vrod is a fine bike and that Harley have done a good job,you are right it will do every thing that you want but the Japs have tryed to copy Harley for years with out any great success but the Vrod drops in to a category that the Japs are building now ie vn 2000 ,honda 1800,yamaha Wild star ect which are just as good if not better for a lot less money.Harley stong point has got to be the character of the bike for me which the Vrod simple does not have.I ride a Harley because of that and not because it is some sort of fashion accessory.I am just about to buy another buell it will be the older model because of the same thing character,a Jap 600 will leave it for dead on performance but the buell is what floats my boat.The Vrod will still be in the gararge and come out now and then.
PS Ian ate all the pies have you not got any mirrors in your house:D

one of two mate :D just been looking at some pics of me 10 years ago :rolleyes: need i say more. i was of course referring to your suspension bottoming out :D

ian said:
Mark dont get me wrong,I think the Vrod is a fine bike and that Harley have done a good job,you are right it will do every thing that you want but the Japs have tryed to copy Harley for years with out any great success but the Vrod drops in to a category that the Japs are building now ie vn 2000 ,honda 1800,yamaha Wild star ect which are just as good if not better for a lot less money.Harley stong point has got to be the character of the bike for me which the Vrod simple does not have.I ride a Harley because of that and not because it is some sort of fashion accessory.I am just about to buy another buell it will be the older model because of the same thing character,a Jap 600 will leave it for dead on performance but the buell is what floats my boat.The Vrod will still be in the gararge and come out now and then.
PS Ian ate all the pies have you not got any mirrors in your house:D
36_11_6.gif
Still going to keep your "fashion accessory" around though, eh? :confused: :eek: ;) :D

It is for sale if any one is interested

Bernie,

Your comments re the V Rod and the sales for the European market, is not particularly true for Spain, as here the majority of bikers prefer the traditional H-D :eek:

You do see some but very occasionally, I know two dealers pretty well one in the South and one in the North of Spain, and they sell one in a blue moon, so I am still not sure about the blurb from MOCO :rolleyes:

Big_john Spain ;)

If you really want one, go to St Ledger in Doncaster, its full of second hand ones....what does that tell you:rolleyes:

Natrasleep said:
If you really want one, go to St Ledger in Doncaster, its full of second hand ones....what does that tell you:rolleyes:

Nothing we don't already know..... like who eats all the pies round that area! :D :D :D

Natrasleep said:
That you'll also have difficulty in finding pipes and slippers in the stores there?:cool: ;) :D

usabear said:
That you'll also have difficulty in finding pipes and slippers in the stores there?:cool: ;) :D

Bernie,

I think that whatever anyone say's or what MOCO say's the V "R"od is never going to make any great mark on the European market ;)

It is just never going to make it, it is not what what we want, we want the original style H-D or for me I would rather change to a JAPANESE bike as they last longer, they are cheaper, can look better when changed, can be faster without lots of expensive mods, and will go for ever, and can sound the same, and look the same, and be much cheaper :eek: ... for me no problem ;)

Big_john Spain ;)

Reported sales figures suggest different, but we'll see................ :rolleyes:
And, of course, no one will ever say "I told you so!" :eek: :cool: :D

I dont worry to much about sales figures, I am not planning to get rid of it any time soon.
i don't quiet agree with the comparison with japanese bikes though. Maybe i haven't looked hard enough but i haven't found a japanese with the same caracter as the V-rod. obviously they are most compared to the V-max. The v-max that i rode did not handle at all. With the v-rod commuting through busy traffic every moring does not cause me agro i cannot imagine doing this on a V-Max. Comfort is very much a personal thing. before this i had a buell when I borrowewed a V-rod i really enjoyed the forward controls.
I bought mine second hand with little milage on it and think i did ok on the price. I really can't imagine having bought anything more pleasent to ride for the same price. Whether it will break down i don't know yet. however people also say Buells are unreliable, and i never had any real issues with my Buell

ive had no reliability issues with mine just the normal Moco shite std finishing. :D

Back