Starting Issues, Electrically on 1987 FXRS

Indeed, but I think in future I will always check all earths before anything else on electrical problems..
I should have been doing this over the last 40+ years as a 'rule of thumb' really.
Again, thanks to everyone that added to this,... problem I had!
Titch
The main earth to always check with starter issues is the braded earth from the frame to the power train, as this is hard to see normally, is exposed to all the crap and often gets corroded or frayed and is essential as the powertrain is rubber mounted which makes for very good electrical isolation! Doesn't need much extra resistance to make the starter motor labour!

1677068948930.png

Last edited:
To be honest no, it was a 'bolt' fastened to that backplate, I only have the starting relay on there under the side panel and it was a relatively newish crimped ring terminal fastened to it.. it tested with the multi meter when checking through, but not enough 'oomph' I guess to earth the actual relay.
My FXRS SP has been, altered, from standard though.. I wouldn't moan at anyone though, as we've all done 'modifications' over the years and at the time it no doubt worked fine.. Although the bikes been in a fairly decent workshop and this 'issue' did work fine two weeks ago.. I guess we've had some rather cold nights and the Earth connection complained ....
Titch

Are you saying it is earthed to this plate (see below) if so that is not good as it will be relying on the bolts that mount this to the frame to earth it, if the paint on the plate is good/corroded, at best a poor connection, that's is why the earths go to the frame not parts bolted to it!
This one was mine in a fairly crappy state going for powder coating, however you can see the paint is good round the mounting bolt holes where the washers were!
Even earths that measure with a low resistance on a multi-meter in situations like this can perform poorly when under load!

Granted a simple low current/tech like the relay may well be OK, but it may give an issue to something like the ignition module that is far more sensitive!

1677070832795.png

That's it yes.. But although the earth wire from the relay 'looked' nice & relatively new.. as with all electrics you can't physically 'see' what's going on!
It will either kick ya in the balls if it's 12v live, possibly cause some other problems to the bikes electrics elsewhere too.. but when it's an earth you don't get the same.... results...
Titch

Hi
Had a similar issue with my FBoy, did all the usual things checked earths, replaced relays even rebuilt the starter solenoid. Starting problem would still come and go, eventually traced the fault to the original factory connections on the ignition switch, years of vibrations had broken the wires

Back