THoughts on a 'cheap' XR1200

Andy Yeo

Club Member
Thinking of getting a second bike, as my poor old FXR really needs some work.
I've got the possibility of an XR (not seen it yet) plenty of photos, & a video of it running. It does look clean, has nearly 40,000 miles, its had money spent on a decant exhaust & a chip for the ecu. Only prob, is theres no service history, but he does have all the old MOTs. I can get it for a bit over 5K
What do you educated types say?

You really need to ride it and feel for vibration and noise from the top end. If it pulls well and goes like stink buy it.
They are a proper hooligan tool - a bit like a 1200S with even better suspension.

The Sportster engine is a bit noisy when in good nick but sounds like a complete bag of nails when worn out. If you have one, a mechanics stethoscope around the heads and cam chest should let you know if the cams/followers are OK. There should be no knocking noises other than the usual rumbles and whirring.
The bottom end is pretty strong and you'll hear it plain and loud if there are crank problems.
If the oil and filter have been changed regularly it should be OK.
The big weakness on the XR are the fuel cells - check they haven't reacted to ethanol. Harley will replace swollen cells foc apparently as they are a real risk to life if they split. I'd also go through all the MOTs as any issues may show up in those as warnings.

Last edited:
I am looking to sell my immaculate XR1200 (2010 model) in black. It has the full V&H race exhaust system and I have a mint condition complete original system to go with it. Tyres are excellent condition, bought new front and recently fitted a new heavy duty battery. Bike has only done 13,300 miles and has a service history, service book and both fobs. These bikes are fetching good money at dealers, ideally I would like £6,295 which is a fair price for a private sale. Post me if interested?

Thanks for your replies. Had a good chat to the guy, genuine bike. He was having trouble shifting it.
I was heading down to Brighton to get the thing, but its bloody gone!

I am looking to sell my immaculate XR1200 (2010 model) in black. It has the full V&H race exhaust system and I have a mint condition complete original system to go with it. Tyres are excellent condition, bought new front and recently fitted a new heavy duty battery. Bike has only done 13,300 miles and has a service history, service book and both fobs. These bikes are fetching good money at dealers, ideally I would like £6,295 which is a fair price for a private sale. Post me if interested?
Rick is yours an XR1200X or XR1200? (Very tentative enquiry as I do regret selling mine)

Excellent bikes and somewhat more powerful than a regular 1200 Sporty, the gearing is the same as used for the 883 Sporty so the increased power and lower gearing makes for an interesting ride that with a half decent rider on board will surprise a lot of newer middleweight bikes. cam profile is rumoured to be the same as was used in the Buell engines.

Oil cooled heads and a factory oil cooler are useful changes from a regular Sporty.

As Rick says, the fuel cells can be a weak area with some having deformed and “ballooned“ along the bottom edges. Mine had a healthy appetite for both front and back tyres but it was ridden hard whenever it was used.

They are great fun to ride and possibly a future niche classic.

I wouldn’t take a lot of persuading to buy another to wheel out on sunny Sunday mornings.55503FE2-BA29-4989-81AC-E4AFD2B61A21.jpeg

Mine is the same as yours Mark, not the X model with the uprated suspension. But to be honest, unless you are an exceptional rider, the standard set up will meet the needs of most riders, the handling is still superb as you know. If you are interested post me privately and I will send you pics & video.

They do seem to have the credentials for being a future collectable, in the way the FXR has become. Would have to be kept fairly standard though...

Future collectable for sure. If not already. Just four for sale across Australia this week and all price at 7,500 to 10,500 of yer British pounds.
I think they look great

Well, as Rick has kindly given me some sound advice. It looks like I might be best to hang on & find one locally.i really need to swing my short leg over one, just to see if I'm comfortable with the seat height.
Anyone own one in Kent?!

They do seem to have the credentials for being a future collectable, in the way the FXR has become. Would have to be kept fairly standard though...
When I bought mine, in the Middle East in about 2018 (private purchase), the harley shop manager told me that a Harley rep from the US had advised him to buy one, if he got the chance, some years earlier, as they realised they will become collectable. Low production numbers, I guess. A bit like the Crossbones and others?

In case anyone is still following this one.
I actually bought an XR. Really enjoying it so far (when I get the chance to escape for a ride, that is)
No problem with the seat height, being a bit of a shorthouse at 5'7" ish, its absolutely fine. I'm surprised at how comforrtabe it is too, no numb arse after a couple of hours in the saddle.

XR1200.jpg

Back