Threat to region?

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
I read recently that Sadiq Khan, despite the write up claiming 80% surveyed were against it, is going ahead with extending the ULEZ area such that it will certainly encompass where the regions meets. Will this cripple the London region? will many of you have non-compliant bikes? (I also understand that the regulations are very unsympathetic and rigid?)

I read recently that Sadiq Khan, despite the write up claiming 80% surveyed were against it, is going ahead with extending the ULEZ area such that it will certainly encompass where the regions meets. Will this cripple the London region? will many of you have non-compliant bikes? (I also understand that the regulations are very unsympathetic and rigid?)
Not from the region, but I read it is likely to impact on places like the Ace Cafe and Bike Shed too. It's bloody ridiculous and likely to impact on people and businesses at a time when things are bad enough. All to keep a few greenies happy

He said he would respect vote. 60% against, and he has ignored it. We cant vote for him, but he can impose this shit on us. If it was about clean air, he would just ban old vehicles. But you can choke a smurf for 12.50 a day. Just a tax.

Lucky my bikes and mrs car all pass.
Its all the ethnics that vote for him. Same as abbott. Fuckwitts the lot of them.

Totally agree with Shaun F, sadly Khan and those that support his actions are blinded to the impact of such measures, they care not for the businesses that will suffer at a time of economic turmoil. The green agenda has become cult like, those that don't get on board with the doctrine are vilified and attacked. You've only got to look at the JUST STOP OIL activists to see how the system treats them with kid gloves at the expense of the majority and those they inconvenience, or worse still putting people's lives at risk should you need to get to hospital - selfish, often privileged idiots!

There’s a Clean Air Zone being introduced in Bristol which covers most of the centre of Bristol. In Bristol most of our members motorcycles appear to be exempt from the Clean Air Zone charge, however for our members who use a car to get to our monthly meet ups it will mean that its not financially viable to take the shortest route and travel across Bristol or take the long route and travel around Bristol to get to our existing meet up. (we have some members who due to age, medical conditions etc aren’t comfortable with riding at night or in autumn, winter, rain etc)

Te introduction of the CAZ has played a part in our decision to try and run two Bristol area meets, with one located to the south of the city and one to the north of the city. All we need to do now is get sufficient existing and new members to both meets to make them viable in the longer term.

Paul, I think that there is only one current, regular attending London member who will not like this.
P, not sure if you actually live inside the proposed boundary?
I do live within the current ULEZ area and note that parked up there are still a lot of pre 2007 cars. If you use it for say mostly for just a weekly shop or the daily school run and do not cross the camera boundary, are you really gonna declare each trip at £12.50 a pop?!
'Tho if over 40 years old, you're ok!

Lots of questions. The main one being will they relocate the current camera locations to the outer London borough boundaries, which pretty much means (give or take) the line of the M25. Bit wasted (and they must have cost a small fortune to buy and install) if there're left in their current positions. They're talking about an August 2023 implementation for this.
Even with my cynical mind, l assumed this probably wouldn't happen 'til 2025!!
I have two bikes that will fail at this new hurdle, because only living a short distance from the boundary I had located an in/out (bikes only) that got around the problem. That or pay £175 to have them tested (no guarantee they will pass, but a lot do) for emissions. Damn

I had no idea the older vehicles were exempt, would have expected them to be the first to fall?

I read last week from this very respected old gentleman on You tube, that was saying the ultimate goal of this is to eventually restrict everyone into their own areas. The Idea is to work, shop, and live in your own 'zone' thereby reducing the need to travel at all !
An experimental trial is to be carried out in the city of Oxford. Welcome back to 1984......:mad:

I was born in North London, grew up there, went up Alexandra Palace to the boating lake, miniature railway and part time fairground for fun. Looking out across London from that vantage point, it was a rare day that you could actually SEE St. Pauls Cathedral dome. I experienced smog in the 1950's and 60's, such that six feet was the furthest you could see and sometimes much less. At times, Bus Inspectors would walk ahead with a flare to guide the driver along the way - and still get lost. The regular drone of traffic was replaced with comparative silence with engines ticking over as drivers strained to follow the red lights of the vehicle in front. People gave up and walked. Windows and door frames would be sealed with damp rolled up newspapers to keep the filthy smog laden air out while we waited for a change in the weather. On any normal day, seeing the other side of the Thames was a 'clear day'. There were no fish in the Thames through Central London.

We have today a much cleaner London than since the Roman times. There are fish in the river, people jog and run marathons, yet the 'greens' continue to bleat about 'emissions' and in their ignorance cite carbon dioxide as a pollutant, if not that, it's NOX gases, of which most come from domestic cooking and heating - from which no-one has yet ever died. Asthmatics suffer more from house dust than what is in the air outside.

Along with the climate change con, everyone is being lied to at every juncture. We have had a succession of 'weasel' London 'Mayors' who have sought to expand and capitalise on their positions at the cost of business, residents, and tourists alike. As a courier for over twenty years, I saw London's road network strangled to death as roads narrowed; through routes terminated; pavements built out into the road; pedestrianisation schemes took the place of servicable access; traffic signal phasing go from 2 way to 4 way and individual timings on red increased. Congestion did not just 'occur' - it was generated to be made chargeable. London is a Ghost town, a 'theme park' to rip off the public at large. Heaven help you if you still live there.

Fog, at times it was almost a comforting phenominum. Sometimes we get fog in the Shropshire Hills. I quite like it. Natural fog that is.

Speaking of exempt vehicles according to TfL, their website once gave exemption for my Guzzi Le-Mans (1978) in the ULEZ. Then seemingly overnight - it changed. No rhyme or reason. But the 11 litre diesel turbocharged 36' long by 8' wide 1972 Leyland National coach that I once used to drive in service - was exempt. Two identical motorcycles built one month apart, and one could be exempt, the other not. We are being 'had' right left and centre. And there is sweet FA we can do about it - save move away. Even then it'll catch up. Deep rural I now live, but am not supposed to burn wood with a certain percentage of moisture content - it's against the 'Law'. Watch me!

Last edited:
I read last week from this very respected old gentleman on You tube, that was saying the ultimate goal of this is to eventually restrict everyone into their own areas. The Idea is to work, shop, and live in your own 'zone' thereby reducing the need to travel at all !
An experimental trial is to be carried out in the city of Oxford. Welcome back to 1984......:mad:
"Fifteen minute cities", that's what that is about. Herded and watched - unless we as individuals say NO! Not having it.

Yet nobody is talking about the major pollution elephant in the room as far as London is concerned, It is surrounded by very large and very polluting airports so no matter which way the wind direction is moving, tens of thousands of tonnes of Avgas are being burnt daily, drifting
fumes in and around London.
But peoples transport has always been an easy target.

Not Avgas - paraffin. Jets run on grade 1 paraffin, otherwise called kerosene. (My Rayburn burns it). Avgas is for piston engined aircraft.

But yes - it's Joe public that pays.

Cynical, moi? Once the mayor has got his Greater London-wide way, where next?
I can envisage the applicable years changing - what, say 2015 bikes and petrol cars; 2020 diesels? You read it here first, folks!

The horror, the horror. . . where will it all end!

Back