True barn (ish) find

I have come across a handful of viewers who are quite recent to Harleys and feel a bit out of their depth about posting, such folks could account for a number of hidden faces. Particularly on the historic side.
By the way, drawn a blank so far with some old contacts but still waiting for others to reply - bit surprised as I'd have thought this was a memorable machine. (some members took the time to paint the colours into the cast badge in the past)

Yep, that’s me. Bought my first Harley this year after a lifetime of biking, and am very much the newbie learning what it’s about. Heck... I was educated in and grew up metric, struggling to get my head around inches and quarts still ?

No problem Kev, you join like that and in due course we send you back a fully fledged HD lore bore!

Yep, that’s me. Bought my first Harley this year after a lifetime of biking, and am very much the newbie learning what it’s about. Heck... I was educated in and grew up metric, struggling to get my head around inches and quarts still ?

Welcome aboard Kev, it's worse than you think when it comes to liquids as the Americans have a different size gallon to us so their quarts are a different size to ours. Unusually for America their gallon is smaller so 5 gallon tanks hold 4.2 imperial. There are lots of charts available to do the conversion.

Enjoy.

Ron.

as an unabashed rivet counter I'd have to say I'm out'a my league when the topic leans to police equipment. I've wondered if the smaller oil bag and the lesser displacement were a good match (ahem! that's borderline tech-talk, sorry).
The photos of the PD Duo-Glides from the left side always seemed to look a little odd to me, what with that battery arrangement.
We, in the old days, felt it was a sort of cosmic karma when a police bike fell into our hands........ que the blue wrench.

ed.
had to dig for it as left-side good-and-clear photos of 100 % accurate PD Duo's are not common and, as a further complication (to the unending delight of rivet-counters everywhere :cool:), there were a great deal of options in the choice of installed equipment (and custom colors) amongst cities, states, nations, ect. according to needs & usage.

a Jay Peg (my Nikon's name)
DSCN8003.jpg

and a link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unclegal/46037181551/in/photostream/

*note the difference in how the siren cable is routed*

Last edited:
Years ago on one of Vince's bikes he showed me this semi-hidden hydraulic brake line that looked like a cable and ever since then I have wondered if it would be possible to use that with the 1949-71 front brake to make it hydraulic - maybe even twin leading shoe? (y'know, hidden inside the cover plate, if it can take the strain)

The hydraulic conversion was done on quite a few Brit Bikes in the past and they only had had skinny forks etc, so maybe possible. That's a great find by the way.

What a beautiful bike your mate has there, Summers. Saw a video of it running a few weeks ago when my mate George (ex-Black Bear and Krazy Horse) first got it running after all those years in storage. Just a stuck valve in the rear cylinder and some acid in the battery and it was good to go apparently. About the same age as me and it would take a lot more than that to get me going after all that time.

Back