Unreliable.

C

Crapaud62

Got my new Ultra Limited in mid May. Less than two months later it breaks down. Phoned HOG Assist who asked me if bike was petrol or diesel!
Bike was recovered and taken to Plymouth who fixed it under warranty as it was a faulty battery with dead cell. I then asked HOG Assist if they would return the bike to me in North Devon. They refused and told me I had to arrange it and pay the ?236 myself.
Extremely pissed off and wish I had never bought this unreliable piece of shit.
Customer service is appalling after paying ?24k+ for new bike. First and last Harley.

Re: Unreliable.

Perhaps after you have calmed down (every right to be angry though) and you have got some miles under your belt drive you may feel different and then maybe after a couple of years it could be just another thing on your list (we all have one) of stuff that pissed you off in life. Plenty of people can see and raise on this sort of subject.

sorry you had a problem ,,,,,, but its a battery problem ,,, so how is that unreliable,,,, now Plymouth Harley haven't treated you right ,, i would get in touch with Harley i am sure they will sort you out ,

john

Never mind the battery.
Wait till the coolant pump blows and the tin foil wheel bearings go south in less than 10K.
Not to meniton the wafer thin paint and the dodgy sat nav that needs continual downloaded updates.

Then you can complain.
:D

Plenty of good Shovelheads on Ebay, err sorry! Seriously, my mate had a nightmare with his new Indian. All sorts of aggravation with the dealer and it's still going on. So many people are just totally incompetent and it happens all down the line and in so many areas of life. You probably have a very good bike and once it's teething problems are sorted you will be very happy.

Rod.

How is that unreliable you ask? Well it was dead and wouldn't run! That counts as unreliable in my book if it won't start.
Not fault of Plymouth, they have been helpful. HOG Assist were simply rude and unhelpful. Harley UK told me to arrange recovery and pay the ?236 cost myself. You think that is acceptable on six week old bike?

Got my Ultra Limited end-April and put over 2,500 s/miles on it so far without a single issue. Can't say that about the Road King Classic I bought in 2008.

Any bike/vehicle can have an issue. It is how you are dealt with that really matters IMHO. By what you state, I would suggest Plymouth HD messed up on this occasion and you should consider taking it further.

Any bike/vehicle can have an issue. It is how you are dealt with that really matters IMHO. By what you state, I would suggest Plymouth HD messed up on this occasion and you should consider taking it further.

Agree with that. I would have been really unhappy with Plymouth. It would have cost them peanuts to put it in one of their vehicles and get it back to him.

Have you paid to get it back to you Sid, or has it been sorted?

Sid, sorry you've had a bad experience so soon in ownership. A battery can go south in any vehicle. Plymouth have done their bit by replacing it under warranty. If you'd rung the AA or RAC, they would have taken your bike to the dealer & that would have been that, they would not return your bike to you, so HOG assist have done their bit. I think for me, alarm bells would ring if they asked me if my bike was a diesel. WTF? But, at the end of the day they are just a recovery service. I once had an AA man ask me if my car was two or four stroke & he didn't have a spark plug wrench to fit it anyway. Again, WTF? I appreciate that you're pissed off, but everyone has done what they promised they would. I had issues with my (then) new Transit & it took them a good two weeks to sort out a simple repair under warranty, so Sid, you ain't on yer own by any means. I'm sure we all wish you better luck for the future. Shit happens, even if you spend 24k. Try not to let it cloud your judgement.

Can happen with any marque. I bought a Triumph new a few years ago and had nothing but bother with it. Worse thing was, the dealer had a six week waiting list to get it fixed everytime it went in. Shit when I use my bikes for commuting. I was a happy chappie the day I heard the dealer had lost the Triumph franchise, though they still have, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati, KTM and more somehow.

Go get your bike and enjoy it while the weather's warm fella. That's my advice.

Can only echo what has already been said - shit happens, defective batteries are not exclusive to H-D's! Annoying - you bet, but Plymouth honoured the warranty from a bike bought from another dealer. I would not waste several hundred quid having it delivered - get down and fetch it back and crack on!

Working on the assumption there's always someone worse off.
Triumph 1050 bought new in 2008 had a useless clutch and four 4 years i waz constantly taking it in to be looked at and every time waz told there was nothing wrong with it. Finally the factory admitted the design of the clutch waz crap and replaced it with a new and redesigned clutch (i had to pay labour). 4 years with a busted bike i couldn't sell / fix or ride with confidence.

My 2010 RK is going to blow up pretty soon (25000 mls). Mechanic agrees there's something not right, cant put his finger on what it is so advised me the cheapest way to sort it ie possibly not ?1000's in labour looking for it was to ride it till it dies. SO here we go again riding a bike with out much joy, waiting for the inevitable.

That's Life unless your rich or can strip out a primary an gear box and fix stuffs lol which i may have to learn come the cooler months.

good luck with urs :)

Last edited:

Hi Sid
Sorry to hear of your experience with your new bike.
Ive got a new street glide special and its just turned 3k. Ive had great times on mine without issue, Naseby fields , Irish bike festival and the Lakes rally last weekend. Its probably pissed you off so soon after taking ownership and i wish you many miles of enjoyable riding.
Keep smiling and enjoy the summer months

cheers Glenn

Ok. Bike now sorted. And I'm sorted too!
First lesson learned is not to post when still extremely angry.
I was angry as HOG Assist were rude, ignorant and unhelpful.
Harley UK couldn't give a shit and just told me to sort it and pay it myself.
However I have no complaint with Plymouth at all. Despite being extremely busy they managed to fit it in almost immediately and sorted it all out. Like me, they were waiting for Harley UK to see if they would come back to offer any help. When Harley failed to call back either me or them then Plymouth offered to deliver it back tomorrow. I managed to get to Plymouth and rode it back home this afternoon in the sun.
Still think HD UK customer service is poor.

Last edited:

good to see your a bit cooler Sid ,,,, the motor company only wants your money !!!!

now bond with that beast of yours !!!!

john

Know what you mean about poor service. I rang my local squealer for a set of plug leads & they reckoned it would take them a fortnight to get them. Still, they had stacks of t-shirts at 30 quid a pop...........

Ok. Bike now sorted. And I'm sorted too!
First lesson learned is not to post when still extremely angry.
I was angry as HOG Assist were rude, ignorant and unhelpful.
Harley UK couldn't give a shit and just told me to sort it and pay it myself.
However I have no complaint with Plymouth at all. Despite being extremely busy they managed to fit it in almost immediately and sorted it all out. Like me, they were waiting for Harley UK to see if they would come back to offer any help. When Harley failed to call back either me or them then Plymouth offered to deliver it back tomorrow. I managed to get to Plymouth and rode it back home this afternoon in the sun.
Still think HD UK customer service is poor.

Glad to hear you took my advice and collected the bike Sid and that you've calmed down. It's frustrating I know, we all have tales - such is the joy of motorcycling, they all are light years away from the service we take for granted in the car industry!

Back