Unreliable.

Re: Unreliable.

Just passed the 3,000 mile mark with more than half those miles ridden in last 10 days in France. All good, enjoying grinding away the foot boards on French roundabouts.

Another reason to be in this club rather than HOG. Next years insurance get a policy with breakdown cover, sod HOG assist.
Carry on enjoying your bike. Have you met any members yet at HDRCGB meets, they will discuss with you all about diesel HD's. :D

Also going along with the theory that there's always somebody worse off, try this one - a friend recently took delivery of his ?32K CVO and on riding home, went down on an oil slick deposited by a wagon after only 50 miles or so - result, a write-off, thankfully all met by the guilty wagon driver's insurance!After taking delivery of it's replacement, he needed to squeeze the 1,000 mile service in before our trip to Germany and Poland and it was duly taken in the day before we left. During the 1,000 miles, the oil pressure light began to display, and he was informed that there'd been a few like this and they would deal with it at the service, not to worry.After the service, the mechanic (technician?) took it for a brief ride to check all was well and the oil pump packed in, wrecking the engine in the process - my mate is now waiting the "necessary" twelve weeks to receive a replacement engine from H-D, after all the necessary checks were made for who was to "blame". No summer for him!Then, after taking stock, he decided to strip down his old Francis Barnett and get it roadworthy while he had the time - this is three years after his garage was flooded - on loosening the cases, he discovers that it's full of rusty floodwater!!!

During the 1,000 miles, the oil pressure light began to display, and he was informed that there'd been a few like this and they would deal with it at the service, not to worry.
There ya go thats the 1st mistake :P

but omg!! a tail of woe indeed

When I looked at the photo's that Alex put up a while ago it looked to me that the oil pump rotor turns in the crankcase. If this is the case any debris (small or large) that goes through the pump would likely wreck the crankcase - madness in my eyes.

Mmm it sounded like oh M8 ah well, but hey I covered just short of 2000 miles on my M8 in just over 3 weeks and I couldn't fault it in fact in my opinion a great engine much quicker than a twin cam but yes early days but didn't we all say that about the twin cam

Bike has failed again. Battery discharged down to 5 volts. Harley UK sent me patronising and condescending email telling me that their bikes have "big powerful engines but unlike cars, only have little batteries. They also state it must be connected to a Harley battery tender at all times when not ridden.
Now have an " Check engine" light on dash.

Well, for once, Sid, they told the truth. They do have big engines & small batteries. It is also a very good idea to leave the bike connrcted to a battery tender when not in use for that very reason. I always do just that. Every vehicle on the planet has an Achilles heel, & with HD, it's the charging system, always has been, it seems. 3 components. Battery, rotor/stator assembly & regulator. One failure CAN feck the others up, had to replace all 3 on my first HD. You've had some bad luck, but at least you're getting it fixed under warranty. Happy days, soon be summer.

Where did I say it was being fixed under warranty? HD UK have just said "tough shit" and don't want to know. The fact that the battery can be fully charged one minute and completely dead the next morning is my fault for not connecting it to a battery tender. I never have this problem with any of my other bikes. And the "Check engine" light?
Really wish I had never bought it. Love it when it is running but too unreliable to be used for serious travel.

How long has it been stood Sid, mine lasts about 2 weeks this time of year if it's not on the Optimate, the security system is a drain.

During the summer, I'm always on it so I don't know if there's much difference.

If it's any consolation, my Goldwing was the same in 2007/8.

I was convinced that back in 1985 there were batches of below par batteries on the early evos, had lots of examples but HD wouldn't wear it. Even these days I still find a past '85 model owner who says "yeah, I had a battery fail".

How long has it been stood Sid, mine lasts about 2 weeks this time of year if it's not on the Optimate, the security system is a drain.

During the summer, I'm always on it so I don't know if there's much difference.

If it's any consolation, my Goldwing was the same in 2007/8.

I charge my Fatboy once every 4-6 weeks when its not used, never ever left on charge continuously and it has never gone flat on me. Depending on what security module you have you can set the hybernation mode which reduces battery drain if the bike is left standing over winter. Worth checking the manual.

I charge my Fatboy once every 4-6 weeks when its not used, never ever left on charge continuously and it has never gone flat on me. Depending on what security module you have you can set the hybernation mode which reduces battery drain if the bike is left standing over winter. Worth checking the manual.

Manual ??? What sort of bloke are you? :cool:

Harley UK gave me a number to call for HOG Assist. I called it and I was told that HOG Assist no longer exist! You couldn't make this shit up!

Luckily, the technician from Jersey Harley phoned me and we went through the fault codes and cleared them. Hopefully it is sorted , for now.

I aint heard that HOG assist have vanished but on the tale of the M8 I can only say I've had 2 of em and so far its a great engine but time will tell as I said previously every time a new motor appears i.e. Evo or M8 or even the Triumph Rocket 3 we all go Mmm a rubber grommet fell of my side panel oh dear they've got it wrong again.

Evo or M8 or even the Triumph Rocket 3 we all go Mmm a rubber grommet fell of my side panel oh dear they've got it wrong again.

Unfortunately the M8 engine problems are much more serious than just bits falling off ...

well fingers crossed mine doesn't go bang, I know at least 10 Harley riders that currently own a M8 without any problems so are we on about a couple of bikes that have failed or are we discussing something on a bigger scale that affects numerous or all of the M8s so are we suggesting that the M8 has been built with major problems due to inept engineering

Back