V&H Grenades fitted?

Martz

Club Member
Has anyone else got V&H Grenades fitted? I never noticed before I took the other half out for a ride. But the pillion pegs are staggered. Obviously because of the exhaust proximity to the right hand pillion peg. Can't help thinking this isn't quite right. She reckons it's not noticeable, but aesthetically it's a disaster and it's not helping my OCD, :oops:20230901_123709.jpg20230901_123717.jpg20230901_123734.jpg

It would bug me, too. I feel the same way about the asymmetry of sidemounts. :)

Could you do (or have done) a bit of cutting and welding to dog-leg both footrests so that the right side is high enough to clear the grenade and the left matches it, adding a spacer if a bigger offset is required to clear the exhaust?

See high quality engineering drawing below. :)

IMG_20230915_180255967.jpg

Ok, although I don't currently have pillion pegs fitted, I do have the relocation kit required to fit them should the need arise. I've just had a look at it & can confirm that it would move the right pillion peg forwards about an inch. So not perfect for those with OCD, but not as bad as your setup. Having said that, your left peg looks to be bent backwards slightly, making the setup look worse?
Side note - how does your OCD deal with a side mount number plate?! 🤔

Pete. I hate it. I've taken the bike off the road for a month or two to sort a few things out. The side mounted plate is one of them. :ROFLMAO: I reckon the easiest way to deal with the rear pegs is to take them off. I was going to put a single seat on, but not really to my taste, so I have acquired a fast back style seat which will follow the lines of the rear mudguard better than the one that currently resides there. With a bit of luck it should all fit in nicely.

Two points (if I may) ...

- if you have a pillion seat, the MOT manual requires pillion footrests (I think, the paragraph is really poorly written)
6.2.12. Footrests
Single seat motorcycles do not need pillion footrests. If there’s an optional cowl replacing or covering the pillion seat at the time of test, you should consider it to be a single seat motorcycle.
Some motorcycles first used on or after 14 June 1993 which are designed to carry a passenger may not be fitted with pillion footrests. Instead, they are fitted with hand holds attached to the frame or seat. Refer to the owner’s handbook if available.
Defect (a) A footrest missing or insecure
Category. Major

- the belt guard bolts to the footrest mount, but Harley and the aftermarket sell a bracket that was fitted to bikes like the Dyna Street Bob that had solo seats as standard
20 BRACKET, beltguard Part no. 49216-06
4 SCREW (2). Part no. 4512A
24 PLUG, hole (2). Part no. 90493-83

Dyna-25-65-32.jpg
Courtesy of the Jersey H-D website.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Gareth. I am aware of the footrest ruling. However, I had a similar problem with my Yamaha MT-01 whereby the footrest were designed to be virtually unusable by anyone vaguely resembling a human. I removed those and never had a single MOT fail in 7 years. Possibly due to my also removing the grab strap from the seat which possibly in the eyes of the MOT tester converted it to a solo seat? Dunno :unsure:

Your second point is interesting and I hadn't actually even considered it, so thanks for pointing that out. (y)

2.jpg

I have read, on other forums, of missing pillion footrests causing an MOT test failure, but the thread always contains posts from people who have had the opposite experience. Just something to be aware of, really.

It is a badly written section, though. It tells you when footrests are not required, but doesn't explicitly tell you when they are.

Also, I really want to know which motorcycles don't need footrests because they have handholds. :)

the tester down here makes you cable tie them up or remove them if a solo seat is fitted and gives you the stuff to do the job with 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, my MOT guy is pretty much spot on and takes a common sense attitude to most things. It will be interesting what he makes of the Grenades, they live up to their name. Anyhow, the Mrs has just scuppered my plans. She wants to come out on the back. so I will be employing my engineering prowess to see what can be done. Also just fitted the new seat. Looks better IMO. (Well it would if I cleaned it!) :D20230923_165123.jpg

Not sure if its me or the angle of the camera but the rear pipe looks mis aligned which might explain the rear foot rest issue (y)

Solved it !! have a look at this if you want to keep the pillion pegs crafty buggers dont tell you you need this part…… with_glasses IMG_1234.png

Solved it !! have a look at this if you want to keep the pillion pegs crafty buggers dont tell you you need this part…… with_glasses View attachment 1197086
Looks like that's what he's already using.
Martz, where does the RH pillion peg mount to with standard exhausts? Looking at one of your pics the LH peg mounts on the swingarm, but I can't see how the RH one would have to have been in the same location aesthetically without getting in the way of the silencers

That bolts to the swing arm in the stock location instead of the blanking plate supplied with the exhaust kit 👍

Martz, where does the RH pillion peg mount to with standard exhausts? Looking at one of your pics the LH peg mounts on the swingarm, but I can't see how the RH one would have to have been in the same location aesthetically without getting in the way of the silencers
Pete. The stock location is as Watchman says on the swinging arm. Unfortunately it would be impossible to mount there with the Grenades fitted. 20230924_184431.jpg

The kit uses the stock location and raises the peg in the right plane with the other side allowing proper orientation of the rear muffler and does work of some lard arsed yank would be sueing their arses 👍😎

Or
He definatly aint for sure look at pic of part it raises peg well high and clear 👍

Pete. The stock location is as Watchman says on the swinging arm. Unfortunately it would be impossible to mount there with the Grenades fitted. View attachment 1197090
That's exactly what I thought, hence my comment saying you're already using the relocation kit. Since my previous post I've looked at where the RH pillion peg would have been attached to - impossible with the grenades. Likewise, you can't move it back as it would interfere with the "silencers" which wouldn't end well, unless it was spaced out even further.

Back