V Rod Fuel Guage

L

lawnmower

Been having some issues here. Now i know the fuel tank is small (13 litres ish) but when i have been giving her some welly the red fuel warning light has been coming on after about 60 miles. That can't be right??? My local stealership TVHD say its the fuel sender unit that needs replacing? Anyone got any expierience of this. :confused:

Re: V Rod Fuel Guage

If you're doing a lot of in town riding, that wouldn't be a total surprise, but generally, my warning light comes on at about 80 miles, and I've got about 40-50 miles left. There have been a number of occasions where I've had to fill up with only about 90 miles ridden. This happens when I don't get out on long rides, so my riding is mostly in town. In these cases, I would guess that the warning light comes on at around 60 miles. Now, if you're riding significant distances at 90 miles/hour or so, you might expect the same kind of read-out (I guess). I've also found that after the needle disappears from view, I've still got at least 10 miles left (haven't pushed it too far, so I can't give definitive mileage here).

The best that can be said for the fuel guage is that it's a rough guide.:(

RICK'S

A guy here at work who has a v-rod tells me if you press the trip button so many times it tells you how many miles you have left in your tank.

Like we have total miles, then trip A then trip B, he says his goes, total miles, trip A and then miles left.

I was suprised when he told me as this would be a good idea to put on all the models and not just the v-rod.

Kendo

tis true Kendo but as with many HD things a totally useless gimmick if the tank doesnt read right in the 1st place. :eek: which seems to be the case

Well let's hope he doesn't trust it on the Big Ride South this year then :eek: :eek: :D :D

The other thing about the miles remaining calculation is that the computer appears to base it on the previous riding experience. I've had it tell me when I filled the tank that the current expected miles left was as little as 85! The readout when you are approaching a true 40 miles or so left is more accurate

Generally speaking, however, I would have to admit that the miles ridden + miles remaining do give an approximation of the distance where you would be advised to be looking to fill the tank (provided you haven't forgotten to reset the miles ridden readout when you last filled the tank).

Rick's, incidentally, claims a better reach with their new 5 gallon tank for the V-Rod, although I have been unable to get hard information on that tank.

Bernie what do you need to know about the Ricks new fuel tank?

lawnmower said:
Bernie what do you need to know about the Ricks new fuel tank?
Everything. I have gone to Rick's site, but find nothing on the tank, nor any information about how to get such information.

Pictures, dimensions, price, installation requirements, etc., etc.

Can you post a link, if there is one?

www.ricksmotorcycle@t-online.de

The price for the tank is 862,00 Euro.

At the moment we have a delivery time of about two weeks.

You have to modify the protection plate under the stock tank and we
deliver a new plate.

The gas cap and the electric is the same than on the stock tank. So it
is not a big work to install the tank.

We also deliver a fitting instruction with the tank!

Regards

Rick's Motorcycles
Philippe

re pics

Now that looks like the answer to all our prayers. Not having ever seen my own gas tank out side of the frame, how does the Ricks one differ from the OEM fitment to provide so much extra volume? And how do they get it in there?

Rod Bod

cant say mate coz ive not looked either. Suffice to say they are German so they probably gave it some thought. :D

btw i have a pair of their wheels brake discs and pulley fitted to my rod as well as a front mudguard (fender to you Bernard) and a stainless belt guard and they look great and are the dogs danglies. The wheels dont corrode either. :D

lawnmower said:
btw i have a pair of their wheels brake discs and pulley fitted to my rod as well as a front mudguard (fender to you Bernard) and a stainless belt guard and they look great and are the dogs danglies. The wheels dont corrode either. :D
I am trying to check out the Rick's gas tank, but not sure that I want to spend $1100 for one.:eek:

yes its a lot of dosh Bear but its obviously some sort of rotational moulding, having a bit of expierience in my manufacturing days with this sort of thing the tooling costs alone could be upwards of 20k so thats why it is so expensive. Shame the Moco cant get their shit together and sort this if an independant company can why can't they?????? Take note Moco !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

lawnmower said:
yes its a lot of dosh Bear but its obviously some sort of rotational moulding, having a bit of expierience in my manufacturing days with this sort of thing the tooling costs alone could be upwards of 20k so thats why it is so expensive. Shame the Moco cant get their shit together and sort this if an independant company can why can't they?????? Take note Moco !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Yeah; I'd like to stick MoCo's face in this. All I got from their reps was "It can't be done. There's not enough space available on the bike. We tried, but we couldn't fit a larger size in", etc., etc., etc.

I got the same kind of response on V-Rod Forums, where they are obviously in the pocket of MoCo, and have a low tolerance for any views that are not consistent with the MoCo line.

Maybe you should wind them up a bit bear and post these details on the V Rod forums. I was out at a funeral yesterday with a couple of guys who i have known for years. They expressed some interest in the larger tank and like the rest of us gasped at the price. I wonder if we could get a ruck of us together and then go to them and say ok then we want to buy 10 of these what price now???? what do you reckon?

lawnmower said:
Maybe you should wind them up a bit bear and post these details on the V Rod forums. I was out at a funeral yesterday with a couple of guys who i have known for years. They expressed some interest in the larger tank and like the rest of us gasped at the price. I wonder if we could get a ruck of us together and then go to them and say ok then we want to buy 10 of these what price now???? what do you reckon?
I think the forum already are aware of the tank. Saying "I told you so" would only incite them needlessly. I have long since given up on challenging MoCo on that site.

As for Rick's, I guess it depends on what they think the market is. I'm not sure that $10,000 would be any kind of tipping point for them, but it might be worth a try. Question is, what kind of price would make us bite, or are we going to bite anyway?

and the problem with inciting them needlessly is ? :eek: :D
what price would tempt you to buy then bear?
what about rod bod? there was someone else too i think?

lawnmower said:
and the problem with inciting them needlessly is ? :eek: :D
what price would tempt you to buy then bear?
what about rod bod? there was someone else too i think?
Given my record, you have a point. :cool: Actually, although I occasionally go to the site to check news, etc., I haven't posted on the site in probably more than a year. Just wasn't worth the effort - particularly when I have you guys to harass!:eek: ;)

Hard to say what price, but I'm sure I could be made an offer I couldn't refuse.:rolleyes:

Back