General Very old people wanted...

Morning Tom - I have just filled out the subs page for membership. (There was no option for payment, like PayPal, or whatever.)

I am happy to change the address manually for old magazine downloads: what's the old domain name?

Thanks for your help Tom :)

Cheers,

Chris

Morning Tom - I have just filled out the subs page for membership. (There was no option for payment, like PayPal, or whatever.)

I am happy to change the address manually for old magazine downloads: what's the old domain name?

Thanks for your help Tom :)

Cheers,

Chris

when you click the pdf file it will show in the browser address bar the old domain name 'harley-davidson-hangout.com' change it to' hdrcgb.org' and the download should start.

Your membership is showing as pending but I'll upgrade you and check again later - just in case you've been rejected by our membership team rolleye :glee:

Last edited:
Apologies to Chris and Jon for the message mix up, technology took me off its xmas card list years ago, we don't even acknowledge each other in the street....

bought a 1982 xlh sportster new from steve rhodes in bradford , it had a badge on the front mudgaurd denoting the first year that h-d had bought out amf.
when he dropped off my sportster in his van he had another sporty in the back being delivered to anglesey ,and yes in those earlier times if i saw another h-d i
always stopped to talk especially in north wales as they were as rare as hens teeth !!!.

Chris, I think I just figured out how to lift the pm I sent to Jon and send it your way, please confirm if it arrived?

By the way, if you check out the Three ServiCars on Ebay thread in the trike section (currently under discussion) you can see the Servi "suicide" pedal to compare with the see-saw style.

Last edited:
Warr's... long serving spares man has a lengthy interview/feature coming up in our winter club mag... The club mag goes back to 1951 though it was never the magnificent tome it is at present.

I'm so grateful to Tom & Gypsy for all their work on making the past issues of Harleyquin available. Thank you both so much! I've downloaded 20 or 30 and will get the others when I can. A great resource, thank you!

Paul - I'm looking forward to that interview. Surely there must be enough information for many articles? Maybe in future issues too? Just my tuppence-worth... I note from the earliest available issues (1966-68) that Fred Warr always advertised on the back page. Do you know when this stopped, and why - the ads don't appear in the 1970s? I'd also be interested in the earlier issues, if they're still available from anywhere.

So many thanks again to TomG, Gypsy and Paul the Archivist. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Apologies to Chris and Jon for the message mix up, technology took me off its xmas card list years ago, we don't even acknowledge each other in the street....

No need to apologise Paul - in fact, it seems wholly appropriate for an archivist to struggle with technology...

Cheers,

Chris

Hi all, Hopefully the scanned pricelist is attached.

To Paul P, recently acquired a 45 and still trying to get used to the rocker clutch ??. The use of ‘suicide’ and ‘jockey’ whether clutch or shift always seems to confuse a lot of people. Hope you got your message sorted ?

cheers-jon

Attachments

• EPSON002.pdf
    526.2 KB · Views: 114
  • EPSON003.pdf
    834.1 KB · Views: 115
  • EPSON004.pdf
    881.5 KB · Views: 123
  • EPSON005.pdf
    842.1 KB · Views: 121
  • EPSON006.pdf
    869.9 KB · Views: 142
Warrs adverts in the 'Quin after 1970 used to come and go, in the eighties Fred used to do a semi-conversational format regular ad, then John did some commercial style ones in the nineties, some of it was down to people who were supposed to approach dealers etc not getting round to it. In more modern times Riders of Bridgewater became a regular advertiser, often on the back page where Bikesure now sit.
As for the foot clutch, once your brain accepts what you are asking it to learn it will become more relaxed (the likes of Topper or Scriv will I'm sure confirm this) so if you have ever ski-d it is much the same - suddenly you find yourself doing it without the conscious effort.

Paul is quite right; my stock answer to the often-asked question of "How the F*** do you ride that?" is, "Same way as I drive a car!" If you think about it, the analogy makes sense; left foot for clutch, right foot for brake, effectively the only thing that changes is that you use the throttle with right hand instead of right foot. Neither of my 45's have ever had the auxiliary hand clutch and once the art is mastered they don't get used anyway.

In mitigation it has to be said that the 45 is a very gentle and forgiving bike to ride, and is capable of enduring very serious abuse in the hands of a novice; it is also perfectly capable, in experienced hands, of showing far bigger bikes a trick or two particularly on country lanes, as several people at the old Vintage and Sportster weekends will testify!

The ingrained reflex of the hand change is actually harder to unlearn than it is to learn; for at least 18 months after swapping my first 45 for a 1977 ElectraGlide, I found myself occasionally reaching down to the tank to change gear.

Last edited:
JonB, I have in the archive Fearnleys same price list but for 1950 and now it covers only three pages, which implies a lot of stuff had gone over those couple of years. By the way, your front cover - that looks like Fred Warr's handwriting..?

Back