what have you done to your bike today?

If I'd been a bit taller I would have bought a T3 Guzzi in 1980 instead of my Sportster. Being able to have both feet flat on the floor and still have a little bend in my knees sold me on the Sporty plus, of course, it rode so well.

Ideally you should not use copper grease with aluminium, but use an aluminium based or other anti-seize or a thread lubricant, to be really pedantic you should reduce the torque settings, one, as it is stainless steel and two because generally all torque setting are given dry and you will have effectively lubricated and made them wet with less friction.

P.S you can use Loctite as a substitute for anti-seize on Stainless steel.

View attachment 1201169

Never heard about using loctite as a stainless thread lubricant before. Fact is any metal screws or bolts are going to chemically react with aluminium, even the oem ones, so may as well replace them good looking ones.
🙂
Some years ago, I read, on the British Stainless Steel Association web site, an article on the subject of galling. I'd had a minor stainless steel screw/alloy thread problem on a Triumph Speed Four. As I recall, the recommendation was lubrication or threadlock - Triumph had used neither.

My god ,you had to be tough to drive those old Albions.I was reversing a 33 foot trailer inside a factory in Leicester that was very tight ( used to go there every day on dome week runs ) I pulled out and was roping the load up outside while a another truck ( old Albion ) was struggling to get in .He must have had about 4 attempts and was getting no where. He came over to me and said hoe the xxxx do you reverse in there?
I said well I have been coming here for a long time so I am used to it .He said I hate to say this but can you reverse it in for me
I thought about it and then said ,has that Albion got power steering ? He said NO .
So I politely told him no way was I helping him out and no wonder he was struggling .Ha Ha.

I
I drove AEC RT's and RF's built in the early fifties back in the seventies. Loved 'em. More recently in arond 2010, I became a 'ferry-man' taking an RF to bus rallies and 'running days'. Pulled into Hemel bus station for layover, and a driver from some super modern coach came over to look in the cab. Apart from three pedals, a handbrake and a steering wheel, he was at a complete loss to understand the preselect lever. "Power steered is it?" he asked, no mate - 'Armstrong's patent'. He couldn't believe it. Always wore a great coat (uniform issue) in Winter. Still got a uniform and PSV badges.

on the subject of anti-seize, i use a PTFE paste that i came across when i was involved in sub-sea instrumentation some years ago.
a thick, sticky honey like substance. it was used on all the fasteners holding sub-sea enclosures, instruments etc together.

it of course acted as an anti-seize, but also a kinda thread lock, preventing stuff vibrating loose. when towing stuff behind a ship it's often oscillating through the water. it's quite expensive for what it is, but goes a long long way. the small tub, maybe 100ml i bough many many years ago, decade if not more? is still going strong. just a light smear on the threads. i can't recall the exact name and i'm not at home to have a look at it.
something to think about?

Fitted the rebuilt SU today! 😁

Had great difficulty getting it started at first but once I got it running and I was able to adjust the mixture screw it ran fine.

I took it out for a quick run for a few miles to get it properly warmed up and readjusted the mixture screw for the fastest idle.
Ended up with it within the specified limits of within 2 turns of the starting point of 1/16 inch below the main jet holder.
So the BBX needle that's fitted should be about right.
Readjusted the idle to a nice tick over and it idles nicely.
Also adjusted the fast idle cam on the choke which was set way off!

What a difference! 😁👍
It feels like a different bike, pulls so much better than with the other carb a Chinese S&S copy.
Weather turning to shit here now so not able to do a proper test and check the plugs but will do do so when I get the chance.

Overall pretty chuffed with the result!
See how it goes with the next cold start.

Su Fitted (2).jpg
Su Fitted (1).jpg

Last edited:
on the subject of anti-seize, i use a PTFE paste that i came across when i was involved in sub-sea instrumentation some years ago.
a thick, sticky honey like substance. it was used on all the fasteners holding sub-sea enclosures, instruments etc together.

it of course acted as an anti-seize, but also a kinda thread lock, preventing stuff vibrating loose. when towing stuff behind a ship it's often oscillating through the water. it's quite expensive for what it is, but goes a long long way. the small tub, maybe 100ml i bough many many years ago, decade if not more? is still going strong. just a light smear on the threads. i can't recall the exact name and i'm not at home to have a look at it.
something to think about?
the stuff is good. ordering some more for my uses.
PTFE is now pretty cheap. And in assorted flavors too. Google 'TPFE paste'.

got the sport glide back from the dealer after 3 weeks of fettling to get the tune right after the stage 2. now has a Don Performance tune on it and is soooo much better than it was. Idles better, pulls better and no delay in the throttle as there was with the last tune. A very happy man just waiting for some weather...

After living with the Pan Am S for the last 3 weeks its a very impressive bike with a lot of power and very nice to ride, but i was happy to get back on the Sport Glide...Maybe one day...

Had a few bits to put on the bike now i have it back...some nice black short levers and pulled the kellerman rear 3 in 1 lights/indicators and replaced with a set of Harley Signature 3 in 1's...

E4C39155-B431-4944-86E5-28664ABE4074.jpeg

Scored a very cheap almost new Inner Primary.( Got swapped for a chrome one when new) After my compensator and front pulley shennigans last year the inner got pretty badly beaten up so been on the look out for one since. also want to replace the 5th gear seal I never got round to doing
IMG_2646.jpeg

Back