Wheel bearings

Halal Tim

Club Member
Changing rear tyre on the glide, and i now need to change the bearings. ABS one is making a scraping sound ☹ .
But they have done 50k pulling my fat carcass around, so not too bad.

should i stick with HD, or has anyone had good feedback with aftermarket?

Ive seen some ropey reviews with allballs ones. The 2 bearings i need are £70 from jersey HD.

Cheers.

Don’t get All Balls. They are made in the Far East and like Halal, I have read bad reviews about them.
Can you not go to a Bearing Supplier and get them? I got my Headstock Bearings from Simply Bearings and they were top quality Timken Bearings a lot cheaper than the Harley ones.

If the HD ones have done you 50k I'd say use them again, ''better the devil you know than the devil you don't know'' at least give the a price chance.

Helmetbolt Mick you just beat me to it. ;)

To be honest 50k miles ain't bad on original bearings - I would stick with H-D unless there is something as good if not better that someone can personally recommend.

Iwill be looking at the bearings on my roadking this winter when i put a new rear tyre on fir next years superally.
MY Roadking has later mag wheels on it so the bearings were designed for a 1 inch spindle then have spacers in them at the moment ,just watched a vid off Pacific Mike he just installed bearings with a 3/4 centre as opposed to the oroginal 1 inch, He showed the wheel spacer and although the inch 1 is probably ok for for the 3/4 centre bearings its a better practice to fit the correct spacer

Oddly enough, its only the encoder bearing thats rough. No play or noise in the other 3🤔.
50k is excellent mileage on a set of HD bearings. My Fat bob only lasted 18k and wrecked the rear wheel in the process.
Replace for peace of mind and not have to go through the wheel removal process until next set of tyres.

Reactions: ss2
Ive done best part of 100,000 miles on mine but they are tapered so I can get the out and grease them every 10k. 1997 Road king.

Sealed rollers are maintenance free but need replacing more often.

The bearings usually have a code number stamped on them, so you should be able to find an equivalent the H-D ones.

Just an idea 💡, the Pan America has a wheel sensor that looks similar to yours. Could it be possible they are the same?

Last edited:
As luck would have it, i have a set of NOS wheels from a electra glide in the loft. Ive just pulled the bearings out. Exactly the same.

Im going to try them, and see how they go. If they go tits up, and wreck everything, i have a spare wheel🤣.

Its only an hour to swap out wheel and bearings.

Will check the fronts once ive got the tyre sorted.

Ive just dropped wheel off at beakys.
Hes looking at trying to repair tyre.
He says he has fitted hunderds of AllBall bearing kits, without any issues.

Might try a set in the front.

Last edited:
Back