60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Scary stuff mate!
Three points.
Firstly, we have had several sets of Harley pads fall apart, but as yet, no problems with EBC.
Secondly, I wouldn't attach any blame to the fact that the bike was ridden in winter. These products SHOULD be able to cope with the harshest conditions possible.
Thirdly, there is no legal reason why Harley cannot fit EBC or similar pads. The decision to stick with the dodgy pads is theres alone.
Hopefully Harley will sort this out before someone gets killed!

Tooty

No blame attached, just a possible reason.
There is a bloke, who shall remain nameless works quite high up at HD.
I spoke to him yesterday about the issue. He is going to check into all brake issue complaints & get back to me. He will be contacting the UK.
More to follow.

Give yourself and your families peace of mind.

Buy SBS or EBC pads.

Keep the receipt.

Give all the paperwork to the dealer...including this thread.

There is no way I would permit replacement H-D pads on my bike after reading these stories.

This has never happened to me in 70,000 miles.......

Well, true to his word, the service manager from Sycamore came to my house this evening (50 miles) , changed the pads and did the caddy bolt recall.

The pad backplate had some surface corrosion on it so I'm guessing there was some way moisture had got between the friction material and the backplate or it was manufactured with moisture trapped inside. It's hard for me to say but anyway, it will be sent back to H-D. I'll post any feedback and I'll be interested in what you come up with Phil.

First class service from Sycamore.

That bloke I talked about (a fellow Brit) talked to the UK tech rep, who told him that he had only heard of a couple of instances. He would certainly be interested in hearing about more. Over here we are encouraged to report ANY pattern of breakages to the factory. Anyway an investigation file has been opened.

That bloke I talked about (a fellow Brit) talked to the UK tech rep, who told him that he had only heard of a couple of instances. He would certainly be interested in hearing about more. Over here we are encouraged to report ANY pattern of breakages to the factory. Anyway an investigation file has been opened.

Cheers for that Phil. I don't know if the pad backplate would be returned to H-D UK or the States but either way, I would be very interested to know what is the cause of the failure. I will post any feedback I receive from the dealership.

I was interested to read this thread, as i had similar problem on 06 Dyna. My front pad fell apart as i was approaching a t junction and i ended up over cooking said junction, speedway style, into the path of a car, who luckily had room and time enough to evade my sudden intrusion.
I took the issue up with HD UK and was told that they were not aware of a problem, and would/could not do anything about it anyway unless/untill they had enough feedback from technicians.
My stealer was very helpfull, though as with others, i had hobsons choice over replacements, and when the rears were removed for inspection,they also fell apart. It would seem to be a problem with the bonding process used to secure(sic) the friction material to the back plate,as there was serious corosion between the two.
When i confronted the MOCO rep with the possibility of some one getting hurt,or worse, he went back to the couldnt/wouldnt story.Make of that what you will.
Needless to say,my pads get very regular visual inspection now!!
God forbid that a bolt may come loose though.:9399D3F58B324EE1B68

I was interested to read this thread, as i had similar problem on 06 Dyna. My front pad fell apart as i was approaching a t junction and i ended up over cooking said junction, speedway style, into the path of a car, who luckily had room and time enough to evade my sudden intrusion.
I took the issue up with HD UK and was told that they were not aware of a problem, and would/could not do anything about it anyway unless/untill they had enough feedback from technicians.
My stealer was very helpfull, though as with others, i had hobsons choice over replacements, and when the rears were removed for inspection,they also fell apart. It would seem to be a problem with the bonding process used to secure(sic) the friction material to the back plate,as there was serious corosion between the two.
When i confronted the MOCO rep with the possibility of some one getting hurt,or worse, he went back to the couldnt/wouldnt story.Make of that what you will.
Needless to say,my pads get very regular visual inspection now!!
God forbid that a bolt may come loose though.:9399D3F58B324EE1B68

This is scary Durnik. As others have said I should, I am now going to get some EBC's.

It makes the neutral problem look pretty lame in comparison.

What do I need, Kevlar or sintered?

I think the sintered double H are about the best performers, might be worth checking that they are OK with the Harley disk.

This is scary Durnik. As others have said I should, I am now going to get some EBC's.

It makes the neutral problem look pretty lame in comparison.

What do I need, Kevlar or sintered?

Yeah, i reckon ill follow suite when i can, as i have never had any problems with EBC pads, and ive used them for quite some time in all sorts of conditions. Sintered are probably best for us, good performance with decent length of service.

Just racked my small brain and looked it up,The BMW bike club had this problem some years ago and yes it was put down to salt /water penetration of the adhesive layer between the pad and the back plate, as I remember the bikes were all recalled for new Brembo pads FOC.

In order for that to happen the MOCO would first have to Admit there is a problem, and to do that they would first have to remove their heads from a non sunny place:A:

Just racked my small brain and looked it up,The BMW bike club had this problem some years ago and yes it was put down to salt /water penetration of the adhesive layer between the pad and the back plate, as I remember the bikes were all recalled for new Brembo pads FOC.

That's interesting. The plate had a rust film on it and the bike has been through the winter / rain etc. I wonder who makes the pads for H-D and would they be from the same place the faulty Beemer pads came from?

Good job they don't fit them to cars, there would be pads flying all over the place

I've got SBS pads on order so once they are in, I'll inspect the rears and see if they are about to let go. Then I'll chace Sycamore for feedback on the failure.

Finally got the SBS pads and fitted them.

One of the rear OEM pads that I took out looked like it was about to part company and again the backplate was corroded under the friction material.

Anyway, the SBS pads perform really well. Progressive and strong. Different part numbers front to back so different compound I suppose.

I've chased the dealer for a response from H-D about the problem and will post the reply (if I get one:frown: ).

For anyone who dosn't ride in bone dry weather only, I would check your (OEM) pads closely for seperation.

Lets hope the MOCO buck their ideas up soon.
I would try the SBS pads in mine, but i crashed him, and now im buying another bike. 99 softail with 600 miles on the clock and dick loads of extras.:frown:

07 fxstb 3,700 miles.

On my way to the cash point yesterday morning in the town centre so only doing 20 mph went to put the rear brake on it felt ok then the next thing i know no brake so used the front to stop got off the bike and there on the road 4yrds back was the brake pad on the floor :mad:.

On picking it up and turning it over it was covered in rust and had come away from the backing plate.

So while i was not a happy chappie at this point i was glad it had happen then at that speed and not the night before when i was coming back from squires cafe on the A1 with the wife on the back at a lot faster than 20 mph.

As where this happend was 2 miles from the local dealership i went and a bit of luck as though i dint buy my bike from then and they had no workshop staff in they did give me a new pair of pads for my bike.

Last edited:

You've been out in the rain havn't you Chris :wink:

Seriously though, I'm glad you are OK but for his to happen on an even newer bike is a worry. It doesn't look like they have addressed the problem does it.

I have had no feedback from the dealer yet about my case and no reply from my e mail chasing it up. I'll try calling them.

Did you keep the failed pad? Is the dealer going to log the failure with H-D UK?

Check your pads guys. Look for corrosion on the backplate and/or the friction material seperating.

I suppose it wont take just rain to cause this...washing the bike would have the same effect I suppose.

I suppose it may be possible to detect some seperation just using a feeler guage twixt friction lining and steel pad, but access is very limited.

I have recently changed from stock HD to EBC after reading other postings about EBC showing improvements. They are excellent now bedded and once I managed to get all the air out of the system (after replacing the fluid as well).

For anybody who has decent mileage on their stock pads I would seriously consider changing them anyway to gain more peace of mind and more than likely an improvement in brake performance

Don't know much about the SBS.

Has anyone tried the Ferodo linings?

The SBS pads are working well for me. Progressive with good feel.

No feedback on my pad failure despite three e mails, so my guess is that the dealer has been told not to admit to any problem.

Anyone else with a failure get anywhere?

Back