High Vis

Re: High Vis

I'm fairly certain that the law has changed to allow cycles to have flashing lights. However, that's the reason I have flashing lights on the rucksack, rather than on the bike. :D

Flasing lights are not illegal, nor were they legalised. On a bike you need the statutory lighting, anything else is up to you. Many cyclists just have the flashing lights and not the mandatory one's which is technicaly illegal.

As for High Vis, as a high milege car driver, high vis makes cyclists and Motorcyclists much easier to see in marginal lighting. I don't care what folk say high vis is safer. You can see a high vis jacket from further away than a tail light when you are on main beam.

Last edited:

Not main beam when following a motorcycle I trust.

The great thing about hig vis is that you main beam can pick it up from a quarter of a mile away, even in pouring rain. Bike tail lights, especial cheapo chinese aftermarket crap may only be visible at near point blank range in poor lighting/fog etc.

Having said all that, the reflective detail on most all weather jackets is also visible at range so works very well.

I am not an advicate of mandatory high vis, and I don't wear it as a rule but you would never convince me it is detrimental to safety overall. Its down to personal choice, as all personal safety should be. If I wanted to be ride safe I would sell the bike and buy a Volvo.

I am not an advicate of mandatory high vis, and I don't wear it as a rule but you would never convince me it is detrimental to safety overall.

Your main beam can also cast a sodding great shadow if you happen to be following an older bike (like a Forty Five for instance) with six volt lights. It's a right bugger riding into an inky black shadow bit of road with a bunch of halogens on main beam up your jacksy.

I believe that Hi Vis is detrimental to safety by generating a false sense of security. Unless we can persuade fallen tree branches, shed exhaust pipes, straying farm animals, pedestrians and country lane sharp corners to also wear Hi Viz that is. Personally I think the skill of driving should include observational skills and not rely on the potential victim to announce his presence over the distracting din of in-car entertainment and mobile phones.

Im not really anti the day glow stuff but give the paternalistic buggers that run the country half a whisper of an idea that will cost the treasury nothing but is promised to save the NHS a billion quid and it'll be bright pink onesies for everybody not in a car.

I would like to point out that I did not ask this question hoping that wearing high-vis would mean I wouldn't have to have an eagle eye and ride defensively. That comes without saying.

I believe that Hi Vis is detrimental to safety by generating a false sense of security.

My observations are from over 1 million miles of driving in all weather conditions. I know what I observe and I know what is visible from a distance and what is not. The emergency services all wear high vis as do motorway workers. They do that for a reason. As stated above It should not affect the way you ride.

Last edited:

I would like to point out that I did not ask this question hoping that wearing high-vis would mean I wouldn't have to have an eagle eye and ride defensively. That comes without saying.

Yeah, yeah, yeah :wink:

Yeah, yeah, yeah :wink:

Wear this and hope for the best!

View attachment 18590

Well after all this, I think I'll stick to scotchlite 'rimmed' gear instead. If I get completely addicted to my bike and decide to venture out in shitty weather in the future then I may opt for some of the dayglo stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I believe that Hi Vis is detrimental to safety by generating a false sense of security..

Didn't word that very well. The false sense of security I was thinking of was that of car drivers cocooned in their climate controlled, air bag cushioned world who need all obstacles and hazards pointed out to them.

common sense suggests that hi vis will indeed make you high vis, however like others here i know that if a driver is not paying attation hi vis or no your in for it. Unless you treat evry other road user as a blind idiot.
I'm rearly on roads which havent street lights and i think i would wear hi vis if i was based out in the sticks. But it's a personal thing for me. i ride all year mostly around London for 35 y's now but with trips out in the sticks. and have rearly had near misses (touch wood) and in 35 y's had 4 off's none of which hi vis would have made any difference at all imo.
So i'll keep rideing as i have untill the "oh Shit!!" ,moments start to increase and then think wether hi vis would solve the prob or my riding style is becoming sloppy. And im betting it'll be my riding style not the fact that i'm not a blazing xmas tree.
one things for sur thow.. accedents will happen regardless.

Last edited:

"I was looking for a new backpack for use on my bike (which would most likely have the choice of black or high vis) and came across this article which I found quite interesting."

Livia,
To come back to what may have been your original thought.

I don't like doing long distances with a back pack but since I bought a Boblbee rucksac, BOBLBEE OFFICIAL HOMEPAGE. I've found I'm using it more and more.

I'm bought a Peoples Dellite Aero. Not the most capacious rucksac but I like the back protector, it's easy on the back and shoulders, OK in hot weather and seems to be water resistant enough without the extra cover for most short journeys.

Use of discrete 3M Scotch-Lite silver stickers shows you up a bit without looking like a complete dork.

I manage that on my own, I don't need Hi Vis for that.

Boblbee also when buying over the internet have great service.

Have fun.
Bert.

"I was looking for a new backpack for use on my bike (which would most likely have the choice of black or high vis) and came across this article which I found quite interesting."

Livia,
To come back to what may have been your original thought.

I don't like doing long distances with a back pack but since I bought a Boblbee rucksac, BOBLBEE OFFICIAL HOMEPAGE. I've found I'm using it more and more.

I'm bought a Peoples Dellite Aero. Not the most capacious rucksac but I like the back protector, it's easy on the back and shoulders, OK in hot weather and seems to be water resistant enough without the extra cover for most short journeys.

Use of discrete 3M Scotch-Lite silver stickers shows you up a bit without looking like a complete dork.

I manage that on my own, I don't need Hi Vis for that.

Boblbee also when buying over the internet have great service.

Have fun.
Bert.

Hi Bert

Thanks for sharing those rucksacks, interesting shame they're so pricy. I like how it can combine to a tank bag too for the GPS because my GPS mount HATES my handlebar shape.

Same, I generally just want a small-ish one for short trips. Maybe because I'm a gal and usually have my handbag on me but my over the shoulder bag is annoying on the bike (its one with the long straps that go across your body not the short handled ones that just go on your shoulder lol :A:)

I think having this bike will get me used to traveling lighter though :D

Thanks for sharing that! Read it then visited the Kent fire and rescue site and watched some videos. I've sent an email to my local station suggesting a future Biker Down! course.

Livia, I know it isn't a rucksack or hi-viz but have you considered something like an Ortlieb rack pack? Fully waterproof and available in different sizes.

I bought a light green one that really stands out on the bike. I use some wonderweb underneath it and bungee it on the back. Comes with carry handles and a detachable shoulder strap.

Thanks for sharing that! Read it then visited the Kent fire and rescue site and watched some videos. I've sent an email to my local station suggesting a future Biker Down! course.
Bunch of us did that last year at Ashford Fire Station. Can recommend it, learned loads.

Originally Posted by Livia329

Bunch of us did that last year at Ashford Fire Station. Can recommend it, learned loads.

Unfortunately not all fire authorities do it as I have asked in my ex service in Hertfordshire, but I would recommend any St John First Aid Course and your local Police Bike - Safe day ride/ course.

Training courses - St John Ambulance

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Livia, I know it isn't a rucksack or hi-viz but have you considered something like an Ortlieb rack pack? Fully waterproof and available in different sizes.

I bought a light green one that really stands out on the bike. I use some wonderweb underneath it and bungee it on the back. Comes with carry handles and a detachable shoulder strap.

Hadn't seen those before. They look good, especially for if I go somewhere for the night. Too big for general replAcement of a handbag though.

Unfortunately not all fire authorities do it as I have asked in my ex service in Hertfordshire, but I would recommend any St John First Aid Course and your local Police Bike - Safe day ride/ course.

Training courses - St John Ambulance

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Aye the chance of them doing it is thin however if a few people ask them the same thing they may be prompted to sort something out.

Thanks, I will be looking out for courses. although I have done a load of general first aid courses.

Back