High Vis

Re: High Vis

Just a +1 on the Kriega rucksacks ? I have one that?s a few years old now and it?s comfy and has stood up to general use and abuse very well.

As far as the High-Vis debate; the main reason for wearing it is that if worst comes to worst and the court is debating the split of liability between you and the driver that?s reduced you to a vegetative state the judge isn?t tempted to reduce the compensation that your family may need to support your long term care. This is genuinely the only reason why I bother with it.

Just a +1 on the Kriega rucksacks ? I have one that?s a few years old now and it?s comfy and has stood up to general use and abuse very well.

As far as the High-Vis debate; the main reason for wearing it is that if worst comes to worst and the court is debating the split of liability between you and the driver that?s reduced you to a vegetative state the judge isn?t tempted to reduce the compensation that your family may need to support your long term care. This is genuinely the only reason why I bother with it.

The only issue I see with wearing a rusksack, is if the worst happens, having a rucksak on your back, could increase injury, due to what is being carried in it. I always go for the strap it on the bike approach.

The only issue I see with wearing a rusksack, is if the worst happens, having a rucksak on your back, could increase injury, due to what is being carried in it. I always go for the strap it on the bike approach.

Actually I used to have a dainese rucksack that was basically an external backprotector and the rucksack attached by zips over this - it wasn't a bad piece of kit and would address the issue of anything poking through from the bag into your body.

Still prefer the Kriega though.

Personally, I found that the dipped headlights set ever so slightly too high gets me noticed, as I see the buggers looking at me in their wing mirrors when I get close. When filtering through traffic ( I live and ride in London) I put the full beams on, they see me early, but then I only filter at a speed that is suggested (no more than 20MPH), after that, if the traffic's moving, it's moving.
When I've come off, I've been right next to the car driver in question, so no hi viz in the world would've helped, they just don't look, I just don't allow them the chance to drop my bike now by giving them a wide berth.
The worst offenders of not seeing your hi viz vest are the 'nodders', yes the girls in their twenties in the minis and Fiat 500's on their f***ing iphones texting.
Watch out for the Nodders.

Personally, I found that the dipped headlights set ever so slightly too high gets me noticed, as I see the buggers looking at me in their wing mirrors when I get close. When filtering through traffic ( I live and ride in London) I put the full beams on, they see me early, but then I only filter at a speed that is suggested (no more than 20MPH), after that, if the traffic's moving, it's moving.
When I've come off, I've been right next to the car driver in question, so no hi viz in the world would've helped, they just don't look, I just don't allow them the chance to drop my bike now by giving them a wide berth.
The worst offenders of not seeing your hi viz vest are the 'nodders', yes the girls in their twenties in the minis and Fiat 500's on their f***ing iphones texting.
Watch out for the Nodders.

Interesting about the headlight and full beam. A couple of times when riding through the country lanes at night I noticed cars didn't seem to care/realise that I had left full beam (first few cars i did it on accident, the next few I left it to see if anyone would flash) on which made me wonder just how much it really works... Of course if I'd have done the same in my car I'd have got several angry flashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One benefit of wearing a full hi-vis jacket on a big commuter bike (especially a white one) is that it tends to have the effect of "parting the waves" in traffic.
Don't know why.......

You are so right I used to ware a standard yellow builders coat when riding in the London ares during the winter mainly because it was 100% water proof and really warm, added to that it was hi vis as well,

You could not believe the difference in attitude from other road users was unbelievable if I were riding between lanes drivers either side would move over and bigger vehicles would actually mount the pavement to let me through, cars vans and lorry's would never pull out of a junction if I was approaching, the difference was incredible...... and yes I do have a white Road King with a screen but I'm not sure that would make a big difference as it was the same when I was on my African Twin it's the hi Vis that does it......

And yes riding with hi Vis in any country would be a bonus....

Back