Pav 40 Trailers

Re: Pav 40 Trailers

Just met a couple over from Slovakia touring our seaside with an "alphabet glide" (FLHSTUVXYZ whatever) and matching Pav 40, encouraged them to come round to the Triple Rally - said they will try. If they do I'll organise some pictures on here. (he had Jawa tattoos, first I've seen!)

Had to fetch someone from Gatwick during saturday but apparently he did call by the Triple, hope someone took a photo?

All work finished now. I will pen an article for the Quin shortly and post it on this thread (with pics) when I'm done.
First outing of the 'combo' complete will be at RTTW on 2 Oct. :60277EB7B04744289C0
SF

More pics of the whole thing joined up on their way....

Went for a spin yesterday with the trailer 3/4 loaded (bags of space, room for extra beer now!! :439:); at first it was a breaze, you wouldn't have known it was there at all, junctions & roundabouts etc were all a sinch and there's me thinking "this is a piece of pi$$". Then I got onto the Dull Carriageway and that's when the trouble started. Up to @ 40-45 mph there didn't seem to be a problem, above that and it started to wobble, not weaving as such, but as it is a single wheeler it was wobbling up and down left and right (if that makes sense). To be honest, I only knew about this 'cos I was peekin' in my mirror to see how it was towing, I couldn't really feel it on the bike. I managed on the return run to get up to @ 50 mph, but I would hit a bump and it would go all over the place.

I'm going to re-fit the hitch joint to both bike and trailer with new bolts & sleaves that fit flush, at the moment there's a bit of room between bolts and hitch which might be causing issues. I'm also going to tighten said bolts up more, so whilst there's still play and movement in the hitch joints, they are at least a little stiffer and movement happens more when it has to rather than when it feel like it.

Of course, I'm also after (helpful) advice, so if you have any it would be welcome.:60277EB7B04744289C0

Pics at last.

DSC00463_1.jpg

DSC00464_1.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

Ref the wobble problem; I'm hoping that it was aload issue. I had the tent (heavy) running the length of the trailer on one side, and llighter stuff on the other. All the same, I've taken the wheel off and will take it to ATS to check if there are any alignment or balancing issue.....watch this space.

Looking good SF

A grid iron tow bar :D :wink:

My ole two wheel trailer will bob about when lightly laden,so your single wheel is going to,just pack loads of stuff in it keeping the balance even,full beer cans seems to sort it out :D :wink:

Looking good SF

A grid iron tow bar :D :wink:

My ole two wheel trailer will bob about when lightly laden,so your single wheel is going to,just pack loads of stuff in it keeping the balance even,full beer cans seems to sort it out :D :wink:

Thanks for that Chillster. :wink:
I'm hoping that's what it is...when I lifted the front end up it immediately fell over to that (heavier) side; I've looked at putting the tent down the center and evenly distributing everything else. Cans of beer would seem to be a sensible balancing aid...:D

Taking it out again tomorrow when I get back from ATS.

Grid Iron idea was based on wanting something that looked good and wouldn't need to come off. First inpression is great, but now I think it needs to be closer in to the rear tyre, almost hugging it.....possible winter mod. :wink:

Yep your right ,it definitely needs to go closer to the tyre,will help to make it look an integral part of the bike,looks a bit out in the wind at the moment.
Onwards and upwards :D :wink:

Fundamental problem with beer-can balance system; soon after you arrive, they're empty - then you have to get home again...bin there, done that
Cheers,
Pete

Fundamental problem with beer-can balance system; soon after you arrive, they're empty - then you have to get home again...bin there, done that
Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for that Pete, always the helpful comment. :wink:

F%$K!!! :mad: Now I'm going to have to work out a way of filling up the beer cans after I've used them......ahhhh....

Pete, I think I have a plan.... :439:

The conections on these are a form of Hook joint,which means they can move in two planes.This one,on a scooter,has been altered but still works.

suzukign250hundeanhaenger6-1.jpg

It's hard to see,but is yours fixed at the bike end,or can it swing verticaly.
If not,that is the problem,it will just bounce.

Mine's quite similar - see pic:

DSC00465.jpg

I took it for another spin today (on the motorway - test ride in style!! :wink: ) and it is pretty much sorted. Balance of the load seems to be the key and I got it sussed and it ran well up to @ 55 mph. There is still a little plau in the vertical link which causes it to wobble slightly at times, but it is quite managable. Final tweak will be to get a fuller fitting bolt or sleave for that bolt.
RTTW outing will be a laugh!!:D

There is a chap in Holland who trades on the 45 market called Jan Willem-Boon. He used to come over to Shipley many years back on a 45 with a Pav (one year he took to dowsing the Pav with petrol, lighting it and riding thru' the marquee!) - anyhow, he had a lot of experience with them and, as I recall, ran with a section of paving slab in the bottom (not ideal I know). You can track him down online (I bet Scriv knows his email) and say I suggested you ask him if he has any advice for you - if you want to, of course. (I do mean advice on running them, not igniting them!)

I know Jan's site well, but I never knew his Pav background. I've contacted him and I'll see what he suggests.

Well, by way of an update (if you hadn't already guessed it) all is complete, although now I'm doing a little tweeking over the winter.
I have written the article for the Quin which I will be emailing in with pics to Andy in the next few days.
Pics are available in my Album <<here>> if you're intersted. :wink:
Happy camping!! :)

Back