Wtf non start

PMK

Reps Liaison Officer
My 2010 glide wont start.

The fuel pump pressures up

The security light goes off

The fob is on my person

It's like the kill switches on (but it isnt)

How do I find my pin

Used yesterday and switched off at 14:20 and left overnight

Yep tried that too.

Put it on a battery charge and trying again later

The jiffy stand switch, which is I think a hall effect switch so nothing to actually clean but has to be in correct proximity, will only kill the engine if the bike is put in gear with it down. It won't stop the engine from starting if bike is definitely in neutral. If sensor is broken then putting bike in gear with engine running will display a message.

If the security lamp goes off the FOB must be working else when you put run/stop to run you would see "enter pin ".

Does your bike have relays or a BCM? Relays, can you hear if starter one energises? Is the little wire that goes to the starter motor solenoid intact, present, making a good connection?

Ground wire and power wire good and connected?

So further investigation

Neutral light on

Sidestand switch cleaned. When in gear with clutch in the sidestand warning shows but goes off when in neutral and side stand up or down.

Alarm works as I tried it with fob away from it and put the wrong pin in and the alarm sounded.

Going to check fuses now

Fuses all OK too.

The symptom is exactly like the kill switch is off. I'm going to remove the batwing tomorrow and prod about in there. Just to check the switch wires

Didn't we have this a few months ago on your bike? scratch_head
Just rings a bell with my addled brain.
Have you got a Wiring Diagram we can look at to trace where the Power comes from/goes to?

Nope not me.

Since I got it in September it's been a paragon of reliability

As watchman says, open up the Switch Gear. With ignition on you should see 12 Volts on both Terminals of the Run/Stop Switch (with the Switch in Run position).
You should also see 12 Volts on one side of the Start Switch.
This is the easiest place to start fault finding.

Didn't we have this a few months ago on your bike? scratch_head
Just rings a bell with my addled brain.
Have you got a Wiring Diagram we can look at to trace where the Power comes from/goes to?
Is this the same bike that you had the right hand switchgear apart at the beginning of the year due to front brake light switch problems? Definitely be worthwhile to check the wiring in and to the switchgear.

Yes today's plan is poke about in the switchgear and then if no joy off with the batwing

OK both switches checked and both have continuity when they should and none when they shouldn't. Also a further test of the kill switch, kill off then turn on ignition, no yellow engine light and no pump pressurising. Flick kill to on and yellow light appears and pump runs.
Now the bike is in neutral and the stand down, when I turned the ignition on the word side appeared before the mileage came up. It hasn't happened again though. I think it's the side stand switch.
So can it be bypassed ? A) to prove it and B) if it is the fault I need to use it until the new one arrives

Last edited:
Back