Its arrived, a long wait for a Pan thats not a Pan

I get it for sure it comes to us all 🤷‍♂️ the trouble is dealers have the mantra of denial drummed into them by the moco under threat of withdrawal of franchise and then after you buy and the issues start appearing the welcome mat is well and truly fucked over the fence and the reluctance to rectify defects as the defect labour rate is way less than the workshop usual rate is telling and the fact that today on fleabay there are 79 dealer bikes advertised in the uk by moco main dealers and big supermarkets and that dealers are sitting on so many and are ready to deal on them should be a red flag……..:drinkies:

All depends on the deal. 22,23 models have less issues, so im told. Still doing research. With my arthritis, the glide is just too heavy. Had a few close calls with dropping it at walking pace.

Buy the newest you can get a good deal on. Anything built from late 2022 should be pretty much clear of the problems that afflicted the early bikes. A 2021 bike can be bought cheaply but you need to know what you are potentially getting into with a 2021.

With ex demo bikes or anything being advertised as a “2023” you need to ascertain when the bike was built. There are loads out there that are being marketed as 2023 bikes, but they are actually late 2021 or early 2022 bikes that were hanging around the dealerships and subsequently got registered this year as demo bikes.

Any Pan America purchase needs to come with a good chunk of manufacturer warranty remaining and if the bike is going to be a long term ownership proposition, being prepared to spend out on a subsequent warranty extension has to be considered as a likely future expense. Very few independents have dug into these bikes and they are far more complex than the equivalent aged big twin, so expect to be reliant on dealerships for the foreseeable future.

I wrote a buyers guide for a couple of club members that I can forward to you, I just need to add some extra info that is pertinent to early build 2023 model year bikes.

In a nutshell, early 2021 bikes are now coming out of warranty period and are cheap to buy, but may not have had all of the remedial improvements carried out on them, 2023 (built) bikes are pretty much problem free as long as the owner understands some of the foibles of owning one of these, and late 2022 build bikes can be as good a proposition as a 2023, as long as you can be certain the bike was built in the second half of 2022.

the fact that today on fleabay there are 79 dealer bikes advertised in the uk by moco main dealers and big supermarkets and that dealers are sitting on so many and are ready to deal on them should be a red flag……..:drinkies:
Ive also asked about a very nice 1250 gs, for 7k, 34,000 mikes fsh. The dakar needs cash spending for next mot. Good excuse to upgrade😆 i can buy a sportster frame with log book, so i can stay in club and annoy you lot.😅

Ive just sent enquiry for a deal on an ex demo pan am. Will wait to see what they offer me for glide.😲

Ask them what the 10th digit of the VIN number is.

If its a 2023 it will be P. If its N, its a 2022 and you’ll need to ask them to use the engine number to identify when the engine was assigned to the frame and when the bike was assembled (most typical HD dealerships won’t want to do this and they’ll tell you they can’t access that info - they can, but may not know how to access the info) If the tenth digit is an M it’s actually a 2021 built bike.

Some dealerships might even tell you the tenth digit is an S, thats the 11th digit and its common to all Pan Am VIN numbers.

I reckon this accessory would be a good start Michael ;)

412165797_178435285332193_5572914590806409631_n.jpg

All depends on the deal. 22,23 models have less issues, so im told. Still doing research. With my arthritis, the glide is just too heavy. Had a few close calls with dropping it at walking pace.
Most of the issues were down to software which is sorted now, they also added a lower gear for the starter/clutch to ease starting. Dealer apathy was a big problem but some were good, Guilford and Sykes are good. I found it lighter to move around than the Roadking, and once on the move its really light to ride, good turning circle too... The 'issues' have been few but the noise about them very loud... I know of one person who traded in their big twin for a PAS and walked away with money and a bike....

Guildford harley.brand new PAS 23 model, 14,999 cash. They have it listed as COST PRICE.

Means 21, 22 year bikes are going to be worth as much as a politicians promise.

Paying someone to take it away?:ROFLMAO:
I think it was more of a case of two people wanting the same thing @Roach . Some m8’s are quite sort after so can demand a good return if well looked after. 👍

Harley’s can be an investment. The very late twin cams still fetch good money.

Guildfords is yellow.

I have a dilema now.

Chop the glide in, with 7k, for an ex demo.

Or 10k for a brand spanker.

Or keep the glide and buy a used GS. For 3-7 k.

Summat to think about.

If the glides causing issues for you now and they aint going away then maybe its time to part with it while there is a bit of residual there 🤷‍♂️ And maybe lay down a long term plan with the fleet as we have said before :unsure: but if the futures a pan then buy new and back the dealer into a corner and hammer them for loads of extras chucked in as they aint shifting em at the mo along with most of their stock given economic conditions and the salesman are starved of their commission over christmas and jan feb the boots on the other foot at the mo as hd uk and all the dealerships are holding so many and as mark pointed out the vin check on the spanker you buy is a must so you dont get had over with an older year on a new plate for possibly your last new harley…..with_glasses

Back