Its arrived, a long wait for a Pan thats not a Pan

Hi Andy, ADV Bikes are excellent for covering long distances quickly and in comfort with lots of storage options, plus they can go off the beaten track, so you can explore awkward passes etc where normal cars and road bikes tend not to venture to.

Had a KTM 1190 Adventure since 2015 now and it's by far the best all round motorcycle I have ever owned and toured all over Europe from Croatia to Norway on it.

It's fast, when it needs to be, handles superbly, comfortable for two up touring and a whole lot of fun when the front is so easy to lift.

I was a doubter, but would not be without it now.
Yeah, I know, they used to say similar things about shell suits

Best bit of kit you can get smart, stylish, comfortable wear it anywhere.

W
All depends on the deal. 22,23 models have less issues, so im told. Still doing research. With my arthritis, the glide is just too heavy. Had a few close calls with dropping it at walking pace.
Which Glide is it Tim, I sold my Ultra Limited a few months back and bought Road King Special, about 6 of my mates have them now. I'm led to believe the RKS is over 40kgs lighter than the Street Glides and ultras

Street glide, in awesome grey😁.
Think im just going to keep it as an ornament. Use it for super rally every year. Knees permitting.

So will either get a used pan am, or a very used gs. 850 or 1200. They seem cheap enough.

Think im just going to keep it as an ornament. Use it for super rally every year. Knees permitting.

So will either get a used pan am, or a very used gs. 850 or 1200. They seem cheap enough.
My preference would be a Triumph good all round adventure bike

I know I've mentioned them before AND I know there are not a lot of them around but I still think the "baby tourer" Sportster 1200T is worth considering, with the addition of a useful rack of course.

If aren’t set on a Pan America and just looking for an adventure type bike to replace the Dakar, this is actually a potentially good purchase. Utterly dependable, cost effective to run, will probably still be going at the turn of the next millennium and its nearly new for the price of a slightly tired GS

I have never regretted buying my Guzzi V85TT travel, It does everything a Pan Am will do except the blistering speed, only an 850, with a 23Ltr tank! a very capable second bike. It also packs more gear than my glide.

tempImageR6dkFr.png

Last edited:
The KLR650 is legendary for its robustness and longevity - perfect commuter bike - but capable of genuine overland adventure within the capabilities of the average rider. The other big thumpers that proved themselves is the Suzuki DR650 and the Yamaha XT600, I've had both in the past and they are bullet proof just like the Kawasaki.

I have never regretted buying my Guzzi V85TT travel, It does everything a Pan Am will do except the blistering speed, only an 650, but a very capable second bike.

View attachment 1198880

Hi Dredger - you forgot to add the Guzzi is shaft driven, no messy chain maintenance or adjusting! Note, alter your 6 to a 8 - typo on engine capacity, wrong number pressed. 😊

Back