Show us your old girls

Re: Show us your old girls

Here is my 1975 SX 250. Had her a couple of years now but have never take her out:redface-new:
$(KGrHqEOKogFJ,LMBGKtBS(uGgo5yg~~60_58 (1).JPG$(KGrHqZHJEkFJY(idcs0BS(uFI1,TQ~~60_58 (1).JPG

This is how the Panhead looks now......the Panhead will be going on the lift and being stripped to its component parts and bare metal, my aim is to get the frame "restored" to the way it would have came out of the factory and a full disassemble of the motor and gearbox, clean, measure, check everything , hopefully I will not have to replace too much stuff and rebuild for next summer, the bike will also be getting new wheels, axles, brakes, fuel tanks, exhaust, some cosmetic stuff and a proper paint job, either that or I'm going to sell it.

That looks fantastic - I would be so happy to own that just as it is; beautiful bike, very cool.

From this to this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 74

Winters coming, not 100% sure about this front mudguard.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 77

My 12 year old has been going on about getting a scrambler, I know its not exactly what he means but that is what I want to get. That is a cool bike

This was suppose to be attached to Mr P 250 pic

Well, after struggling with the feeling that my 1998 Evo Big Twin was a bit "New", I had to follow my heart and get something with (to my mind) a bit more "Real". I bitterly regret selling my '53 FL many years ago but no point in lamenting any further and safe in the knowledge I could not afford the equivalent again; I set my heart on a Shovel.

I rode a Superglide that I was Convinced that I was going to buy, but it did not move me.

Instead I settled on a 1984 FLHS.
1340cc, numbers matching (not that it bothered me), 4 speed, belt Drive, Forward controls.

I need to check it out fully but at first glance it appears promising. Clearly not standard but a bit of fun and it certainly floats my boat.

Here is a Picture, assuming I have got that hang this posting malarkey:

Harley FLHS.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks.

It obviously has very short rear shocks - 10" centre-centre - and I don't know if I can live with that yet. I believe the standard ones are 12" centre-centre.
I would like to find a happy medium between the two, I love the look and low seat height of the 10" Shocks but I am sure they will not be very practical in the real world, so I was wondering about getting some 11" ones as a compromise.

I have got a pretty long "to do" list already and I am not sure if I can live with the VERY wide beach bars. I want to upgrade the brake pipes to Goodridge of equivalent at some point so I need to settle on my preferred bars first.

Mort has also been very helpful in terms of Carburation advice, so that will get a look-at soon.

I have also got some 2-2 pipes which I think will be better in the long run to the 2-1 straight through bit of drain pipe.

Clearly a "work in progress" bike, but I suppose all old bike are really.

Very nice Pete, look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Very nice Pete, look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Thanks Maff!

LOADS going on at the moment, big build at home at the moment as Les can confirm. Everything else has taken a back seat at the moment, including bikes.
Had to complete the garage before I could collect the bike so I have had no time to tinker with it. I am gradually edging towards "practical" - it is a step up from the Chop.

Nice looking Shovel Pete. 11" shocks on my 81 are just fine, allows the standard deep sided rear guard to sit close and has never bottomed out.
That seat looks like its gonna cause pain. Had to go pogo on mine to avoid agrivating a back problem. Never looked back, sitting up high and a tad further forward, better control and less lurch. Pogo and solo not everybody's cup o tea but I love the look. Suppose it depends on pillion potential.
Great looking bike, enjoy it.

That looks great. Yeah beach bars are an awful fashion trend now dead, and bloody hopeless in busy city traffic.

I have ProgSus 11in on my FXWG .... work good without mods and no bottoming as Chris states.

If you can get away with the 10s, low is ALWAYS better, but on my fourspeed FXEF Evo I actually had to shift CBs off the rear mudguard years ago and rotate and trim that mudguard, and cut and shut fender struts, and rechrome, to be sure of clearance with 11in shocks. Depends what the miles tell you. I certainly always have and will hate the huge gap betwixt rear tyre and mudguard on almost all stock Harleys.

Thank you for all the comments and input - all very helpful and appreciated.

As I say, I love the look on the rear so that will be the last thing I change out of necessity, I too love the fact that you cannot limbo between the tyre and Fender.

In terms of seat, I had one of those on my Dyna Superglide and I found it fine - it is better than the one on the Chop for sure! I will persevere with this too for the present.

As an aside, I assume the headlight is not adjustable? It seems the rear end has meant that the headlight would point very high and potentially blind road users - I said "Potentially" because the headlight does not work and the spots have been wired to the handlebar switches, presumably because the headlight would potentially blind road users!!!! Any thoughts on this at all? All European bike I have owned had adjustable headlamps but I assume the "Cyclops" is non-adjustable. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

If headlamp is stock it is very adjustable ... remove the outer ring and you have 2 eccentric srews... IIRC we switched Scriv's FL from US to UK dip by means of those screws when it landed from So Cal.General opinion is 2 into 1 pipe gives more low end grunt. I was amazed at the difference on my '77 when I replaced the 2:2 setup.

Back