Show us your old girls

Re: Show us your old girls

Close up of the engine (photobucket permitting):

DSCF3951_zpsnewgid8m.jpg
[/URL]

Love the look of a Shovel motor.... sad but true.

Shovels are great looking motors, though that mo co points cover burns lol, once she's dialled in and you've got time a kicker conversion is a worthwhile investment. IMHO always good to have a back up.

Last edited:

Shovels are great looking motors, though that mo co points cover burns lol, once she's dialled in and you've got time a kicker conversion is a worthwhile investment. IMHO always good to have a back up.

Funnily enough, I DO want a kicker conversion - IF it clears the exhaust system. This is where my knowledge or lack of it lets me down..

Funnily enough, I DO want a kicker conversion - IF it clears the exhaust system. This is where my knowledge or lack of it lets me down..

No reason why it shouldn't pipes look to be in stock position, so long as you use a shovelhead kicker arm you'll have plenty of clearance.

I have a kick on mine with standard pipes and the only practical way to do it is to have a small recess welded into the pipe to clear the coil of the kick pedal return spring. Will fetch the pipe and take a photo when I get the chance. (so glad I put one on)

Thanks, I have taken the plunge and bought a conversion kit; they are probably "universal" in that they fit nothing, as is the way with after-market parts. Fingers crossed...

I know its not a Harley, but its bloody boring this time of year and i've just finished building this ,was really very poorly when i first got her . Its a BSA M21 1954 600cc single ,thankfully with valve lifter :>)

Really like that Shovel mate,those engines look just great , the bonus for me would be it has a leccy start :>)

IMG_0839.jpg

I really like that Alan....I used to have an M20 500cc when I was 16. It was a 1940 something.

Am I correct in thinking the 600cc M21 version like yours was intended to have a sidecar fitted.

I swapped my M20 for a tuned Bantam, which I over revved and it destroyed itself.

Brian

Yes mate , they were liked very much by the sidecar fraternity.

My Mum used to call me ALAN ! when i was in trouble ;>)

Cheers Chill

Last edited:

I know its not a Harley, but its bloody boring this time of year and i've just finished building this ,was really very poorly when i first got her . Its a BSA M21 1954 600cc single ,thankfully with valve lifter :>)

Really like that Shovel mate,those engines look just great , the bonus for me would be it has a leccy start :>)

IMG_0839.jpg

That is really cool. I always wanted an M21. I'm still rebuilding my old 1970 Bantam that I used for work in the eighties and converting it to a road legal trials bike. The plan is to actually finish it in 2016!!

This is how far I've got

7c28edfa58025033aaf70774f664c73f.jpg

But the engine needs work!!

6537ee17fb4226aabb805c8bbabd578f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also used a 1970 B175 for work in the eighties, mostly when the FLH had a problem (flat, no MoT, etc).

Well its been a while since most have seen it and it looks a tad different to the last time I added a picture up here!

This was taken in late august

IMG_0921.jpg

have since added a sissy bar

IMG_1303.jpg

Here's my pair;

My 1965/70 ironhead bobber. 1965 chassis, 1970 engine, David bird 4"stretch 2"drop hardtail, Very slow progress, but still "progress"

and my most recent purchase, a 1977 fxe 1200 shovelhead. The picture is stolen from the advert will hopefully get some of my own pics of it up soon.

Mike.

Back