Where will we be in 20 years?

A Harley Davidson is an internal combustion powered expensive motorcycle. It is today, as it was in the 1960's when a Bonneville might be £230 plus; a BMW £400 plus; and a Harley £600 plus (Off the top of my head). But a rebuilt WL from Warr's would £300, that was the only way I could afford buying a Harley - and I did, in Feb 1966. I was 18yrs old. And unless you hovered around King's Road, Fulham at a weekend, Harley's were as rare as hens teeth out on the road.

Those who have enjoyed continuous ownership over the years are a breed apart from 'regular' bike riders. Sadly my own HD years didn't last long enough from back then, but the 'dream' of owning another never left, and through more good fortune than any financial success personally, there's a Shovel in the barn. When I witnessed the 'Thunder in the Glens' runs in 2004 around Aviemore, I really did wonder how so many earned enough to buy such machines. Most were not youngsters.

As to electric Harleys - it might say Harley Davidson on the tank, but it's not what is in the tin.

If the rally scene (which I enjoy) is anything to go by, most of us in 20 years time I suspect will be long gone, bar DJ, I can see him riding well into his 90s!

If the global elite get their way, freedom and travel will be heavily restricted, the allure of clubs like ours will be dramatically effected. Beyond 20 years - say another 20 years we will be gone.

Nothing lasts forever, whilst we should strive to recruit and appeal to a younger demographic, it's more important to me that the existing membership get on with life and live it to the full. Don't look back with regret, don't worry about the future, make the most of your riding life NOW - get the bike you've always wanted and LIVE!
Rick, I suspect that the global elite do not want to restrict freedom and freedom to travel.
What they do want, is for us not to do it in/on a personal mode of transport - four wheels or two.
They want us to use trains, trams, buses, coaches and bicycles and our good old two feet! How that'll work out when attending a rally, god only knows!!

Wasn't the Street 750 supposed to attract younger riders to H-D?
How well did that do?
C'mon Roach. . . just look around you - they're everywhere! ;)
Much to the chagrin of Halal Tim, who I can hear, from here, gnashing his teeth and composing his next. . .

How well did that do?
Ah, the pound shop harley.
The mumbai mennace.
About as common as a thin bloke at a harley rally.😅😅😅😅

Screenshot_20240206_164443_Chrome.jpg

How well did that do?
It has been discontinued I think. Im sure H-D is just like any manufacturer, some models sell better than others. They have moved away from the live wire too.

The new CEO Jochen Zeitz has had much success in his previous career making Companies profitable, and he seems to be looking to the Asian market and introducing new models as part of that philosophy. The traditional V twin is still the main focus however from what I understand.

The only issue I see with this changing approach by HD and their new bikes is the HDRCGB will either have to adapt to suit, or become similar to the Vintage Motorcycle Club for die hard for purists only as the attraction of the new breed of Harley Owners won't be there.

A most important point.. there are considerably more Pan Ams in the Club already than most would assume, I believe. Although there are those that are negative in this place, but less so on other platforms and on rides and ar meets. I do believe that within a few years a greater acceptance will come about, because the will represent a larger proportion of bikes and bring in new members…

On a side note there are some pretty good custom PA emerging now, but not with hard tails and ape hangers…😂😂

Last edited:
i think you might be right but the BMW GS still is the bike to beat ,,,,
the Harley rider that would have bought a BMW ( usually as a second bike )will now look very closely at the Pan ,,,
it will take a little wile till the pan has p[roved its self ,,,,BMW GS has been around for 44years

The ideal scenario will be as it always has in the H-DRCGB, we all get camp up together, regardless of what model of Harley we bring to the event. 👍👍👍

Back