what have you done to your bike today?

Agree in that I don't really like the look, however it will doubtless probably go much better with those pipes on. 👍
Pic is on my desktop and is steadily growing on me, the idea is as the bike has only done 700 miles the stage one is an essential part of the run in period. Have yet to obtain a Dynojet Power Vision and map the pipe, have not even started it as will prob throw some codes and run weaker than the factory system without a tune. Have a Screaming Eagle K&N serviceable filter turning up this week. Have heard the paper disposable element is plenty for a stage one though prefer the oiled version and rain sock pre filter setup better. The Street bob 114 is detuned from the factory so approx 7bhp slower than the Fatbob and the 114 Low Rider S. Most don't know about that and are suprised by the performance boost of the stage one on the Street bob, mapping it should make a decent difference as well as running cooler and sweeter. I've already vented the crankcase and will vent the heads once I see some goop getting into the manifold.

Pic is on my desktop and is steadily growing on me, the idea is as the bike has only done 700 miles the stage one is an essential part of the run in period. Have yet to obtain a Dynojet Power Vision and map the pipe, have not even started it as will prob throw some codes and run weaker than the factory system without a tune. Have a Screaming Eagle K&N serviceable filter turning up this week. Have heard the paper disposable element is plenty for a stage one though prefer the oiled version and rain sock pre filter setup better. The Street bob 114 is detuned from the factory so approx 7bhp slower than the Fatbob and the 114 Low Rider S. Most don't know about that and are suprised by the performance boost of the stage one on the Street bob, mapping it should make a decent difference as well as running cooler and sweeter. I've already vented the crankcase and will vent the heads once I see some goop getting into the manifold.
Have you considered a V&H Fuelpak FP3?
Ive had good results with that on my M8 Slim. It's a 107 but has very unrestrictive pipes and the heavy breather air cleaner.
Goes like stink! 👍
The Fuelpak has an autotune feature that seems to work very well. You can also adjust the maps yourself it you know what you are doing and there are loads of base maps as a starting point, what year is yours as I can see there is a base map for TBR 2 into 1 pipes on a 114 M8 softail.

Slim 27-02-24 Right.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered a V&H Fuelpak FP3?
Ive had good results with that on my M8 Slim. It's a 107 but has very unrestrictive pipes and the heavy breather air cleaner.
Goes like stink! 👍
The Fuelpal has an autotune feature that seems to work verywell. You can also adjust the maps yourself it you know what you are doing and there are loads of base maps as a starting point, what year is yours as I can see there is a base map for TBR 2 into 1 pipes on a 114,
Had an V&H FP3 on the previous 2015 103 Dyna fatbob, allowed me to adust the tickover a tad from 980 -1080 to 940 - 1020 much closer to the actual 1000rpm it was supposed to be. Allowed you to adjust the over run pop some. Did feel the bike lost its sense of urgency though put that down to the V&H 2 into 2 big radius. Current bike is 22 plate and has 4x O2 sensors so requires the FP4, carries non of the maps the previous version did for some reason and non of the optional mods so no different to a Dynojet Power Vison. The dyno jet can be used on other bikes for £200 and even be potentially sold for around £150 allowing for the £200 to register it again to a new bike. Its also the staple hook up to a dyno for most tuners. Another mute point is there are lots of owner reviews on the FP3 showing what it can do and Non on the FP4, wtf is that all about its been out since 2021.

So the 78 Bonnie I purchased the other month has received a bit of spannering this week, I changed all the oils and along with a few other jobs I fitted a new battery and I managed to get a spark at the plugs and with a good swing on the kick start she roared into life and ticked over nicely. The Bonnie had sat for 27yrs the owner had kicked it over each week but it had never been started for 27yrs so to hear it start and run was glorious. I checked the oil flow in the frame as it was running and a good flow of oil could be seen. So now onto the siezed calipers and fit some new pistons and seals

Sounds like the Power Vision is the way to go then.
I have no such concerns with my other bike, points ignition and a carb 😂
I like classics if was a little shorter would consider another bonni like Army above as a second bike. Owned a 1978 T140 D Special with a twin disc conversion back in the late 80's. Not sure I could swing to a Shovel like yours or a Knuckle though the motors look awesome.
The V&H Fuel Pack was the logical choice as even the suppliers of the pipe and 2 bros recommended them, though think their mindset had nothing to do with the EU and UK variants with the extra X2 O2 sensors in the silencers.
Originally you could fit slip ons and as long as didn't change the air filter the bike didn't need a tune.
The M8 is a far superior looking motor to the Twin Cam that preceeded it though its not without its many varied faults, many if which can be rectifiied. Build quality and quality control seems to be lacking across the board no matter where they are assembled. Bike has been built to a price point unlike early models where attention to detail was lavished upon them.
I considered another V&H big radius setup though was dissmayed to discover a massive price hike. Evidently V&H is fitting high flow cats in all of their pipes and the price has bumped over £500 up on previous prices.

FInally got everything done to the Fatty. The XR1200 just needs a couple of hours cleaning, which will just leave the XJR which needs the carbs cleaning and a bit of a polish. That will be the 3 bikes that will be on the road for this year. The others can either sit on the back burner or I'll sell them. Getting too old to have so many bikes to mess around with.

20240309_151247.jpg

20230701_141300.jpg

2023-04-25 (4).jpg

FInally got everything done to the Fatty. The XR1200 just needs a couple of hours cleaning, which will just leave the XJR which needs the carbs cleaning and a bit of a polish. That will be the 3 bikes that will be on the road for this year. The others can either sit on the back burner or I'll sell them. Getting too old to have so many bikes to mess around with.
I had a pre ABS fatty a 2008 the first of them 1586 96ci best looking to my mind. Longest reach to the pegs of any factory harley to date. Bit slow away from the lights and damn dangerous the way I rode it ha ha. Prefer the later ones prior to the 2013 facelift with the 103 motor and ABS the harley brakes life savers.
19942_1283143513262_3096185_n.jpg

I like classics if was a little shorter would consider another bonni like Army above as a second bike. Owned a 1978 T140 D Special with a twin disc conversion back in the late 80's. Not sure I could swing to a Shovel like yours or a Knuckle though the motors look awesome.
The V&H Fuel Pack was the logical choice as even the suppliers of the pipe and 2 bros recommended them, though think their mindset had nothing to do with the EU and UK variants with the extra X2 O2 sensors in the silencers.
Originally you could fit slip ons and as long as didn't change the air filter the bike didn't need a tune.
The M8 is a far superior looking motor to the Twin Cam that preceeded it though its not without its many varied faults, many if which can be rectifiied. Build quality and quality control seems to be lacking across the board no matter where they are assembled. Bike has been built to a price point unlike early models where attention to detail was lavished upon them.
I considered another V&H big radius setup though was dissmayed to discover a massive price hike. Evidently V&H is fitting high flow cats in all of their pipes and the price has bumped over £500 up on previous prices.
I also had a Twin Carb Bonnie in 1980, sold it to buy my first HD; a Willie G FXWG. Pic below and had only Harleys ever since.
Luckily my M8 is a 2018 Slim so no issues with Cats and only has 2 x O2 sensors.
The pipes on it are Freedom Performance imported from US and US made.
Only baffling is a Big City Thunder Monster Baffle which is little more than a hoop.
I never noticed a problem with the M8 oil migration issue but I installed a Biltwell Vented dipstick anyway but I believe this was more relevant with the touring bikes.

FXWG.JPG

I also had a Twin Carb Bonnie in 1980, sold it to buy my first HD; a Willie G FXWG. Pic below and had only Harleys ever since.
Luckily my M8 is a 2018 Slim so no issues with Cats and only has 2 x O2 sensors.
The pipes on it are Freedom Performance imported from US and US made.
Only baffling is a Big City Thunder Monster Baffle which is little more than a hoop.
I never noticed a problem with the M8 oil migration issue but I installed a Biltwell Vented dipstick anyway but I believe this was more relevant with the touring bikes.

View attachment 1200245
When I completed a Bonnie rebuild 5 years ago the bike in question was a 75 model built during the lock in or stored during the lock in. It was a total rebuild and when I finished it and had my first ride I thought someone has swapped it for a 125cc it was tiny, I'm 6ft 1" but I'm sure they were bigger when i was 16. Anyway fast forward to the present, I had the chance to buy a 78 that hadn't run for 27yrs and In the 3 weeks that I've owned it I've fetled loads of it and it started on the 2nd kick I regret selling my 75 so I don't think I will part with it, yes it feels small but I feel big on most bikes. I did fancy a T140D as I think that is the nicest cycle Triumph built. Anyway going out to prep my Chop for Friday its entered into the custom show at the Scottish International show so hopefully a trophy will come back with me

Always tickled me that my grandparents, when they were still alive would always comment if I turned up on my A65. 'Eeee yer on yer dad's big bike'. Despite my regular/daily bikes being much bigger both physically and capacity wise. I mean it was big when I was a nipper I suppose, as others in the family rode sub 250cc two strokes but it feels tiny and very light weight now.

Looks great with those superglide type tank badges :cool:
I was wondering if anyone would notice! It took me until 6 weeks after I bought the bike. I don't know if the previous owner had damaged the tank or just liked the look or something? But yeah, I prefer them over the Fat Bob badges. (y)

Not so much done anything on the bike, but gave the garage/shed a good clean up and do over as the queen was out pyamapartying (read getting a service) at the local mechanic. Also waterproofed the roof (oops) and added some ventilation. And finally.. picked her ladyship up today and had a bit of a bimble! Bring on SPRING!

I'm 6ft 1" but I'm sure they were bigger when i was 16. Anyway fast forward to the present, I had the chance to buy a 78 that hadn't run for 27yrs and In the 3 weeks that I've owned it I've fetled loads of it and it started on the 2nd kick I regret selling my 75 so I don't think I will part with it, yes it feels small but I feel big on most bikes. I did fancy a T140D as I think that is the nicest cycle Triumph built. Anyway going out to prep my Chop for Friday its entered into the custom show at the Scottish International show so hopefully a trophy will come back with me
Am over 6ft and almost the 1inch but shrunk a tad with age, boots can add an inch so am probably still 6ft 1 and was when had my bonnie. Was much more lithe back then and working as a labourer. Bike was a UK spec slab sided ugly fucker, bought a number of Norman Hyde goodys. The tank, the fork brace, the oil cooler, the seat. It came with the twin lockheeds bike was bought from a bloke in Leicester for a grand, a practical classic after passed me test. Had amal mk11/2's fitted to it, back then wanted Nourish heads & alloy nikasil barrels, today would fit a set of Mikuni flat slides too!
You must be wealthy Hagar as harleys were out of my league back then, mate had a coveted FXRS he kept in his front room. Harleys were the bike of dreams when on LSD back in the 80's. Even in my later years Buells namely X1's were about as close to a harley I could afford. My last two fat bobs 96 and 103 were bought on an insurance payout and me old mum passing and a meagre amount of inheritance, though could not afford to keep either of them for any length of time. Only this last bike my Street bob does it look like am able to keep. Bought for cash and hopefully solid employment.
The prob with the M8 it produces too much crankcase pressure, it shows up more on tourers as the oil foams up excessively and cavitates. This can lead to sumping issues. Harley tried to alleviate the issue with a new oil pump that scavenged better. This did not cure the oil foaming/cavitating. Your vented dipstick is an expensive and somewhat messy cure, it also recycles the same goop of oil and condensation as it sits right over the oil tank. Better to just vent the highest point gearbox cover for £20, at that point its attempting to vent the gasses and failing that exit the sump and return to the oil tank, similar to the trask billet top cover, run an inline non return valve. Its a fit and forget item.
my trmpet.png

Last edited:
Am over 6ft and almost the 1inch but shrunk a tad with age, boots can add an inch so am probably still 6ft 1 and was when had my bonnie. Was much more lithe back then and working as a labourer. Bike was a UK spec slab sided ugly fucker, bought a number of Norman Hyde goodys. The tank, the fork brace, the oil cooler, the seat. It came with the twin lockheeds bike was bought from a bloke in Leicester for a grand, a practical classic after passed me test. Had amal mk11/2's fitted to it, back then wanted Nourish heads & alloy nikasil barrels, today would fit a set of Mikuni flat slides too!
You must be wealthy Hagar as harleys were out of my league back then, mate had a coveted FXRS he kept in his front room. Harleys were the bike of dreams when on LSD back in the 80's. Even in my later years Buells namely X1's were about as close to a harley I could afford. My last two fat bobs 96 and 103 were bought on an insurance payout and me old mum passing and a meagre amount of inheritance, though could not afford to keep either of them for any length of time. Only this last bike my Street bob does it look like am able to keep. Bought for cash and hopefully solid employment.
The prob with the M8 it produces too much crankcase pressure, it shows up more on tourers as the oil foams up excessively and cavitates. This can lead to sumping issues. Harley tried to alleviate the issue with a new oil pump that scavenged better. This did not cure the oil foaming/cavitating. Your vented dipstick is an expensive and somewhat messy cure, it also recycles the same goop of oil and condensation as it sits right over the oil tank. Better to just vent the highest point gearbox cover for £20, at that point its attempting to vent the gasses and failing that exit the sump and return to the oil tank, similar to the trask billet top cover, run an inline non return valve. Its a fit and forget item.
View attachment 1200252
My favourite Bonnie of all the T140D

Nice Bonnie!
Are they Lester Alloys on it too.. I had some on mine 'years ago'.. must confess it had raked forks and on a Q plate though......
Titch

Nice Bonnie!
Are they Lester Alloys on it too.. I had some on mine 'years ago'.. must confess it had raked forks and on a Q plate though......
Titch
I bought this latest 140v with the idea to turn it into a T140D but it quickly became apparent that due to the splayed heads that were fitted upto late 1978 i couldnt make the D side panels fit without cutting them which was a pity because a good friend recently gave me a pair of T140D side panels so to complete my idea the T140v is for sale, I even have the original handbook with its first stamp and the original bill of sale from 1978 so with 10k on the clock someone will grab a bargain

Back