what have you done to your bike today?

I remember when the X75 came out, could never afford one, but I'm still in love!
I couldn't afford one either, that's why mines a genuine replica. I'd run out of space and losing 2 bikes and replacing with one made sense. The X75 is an interesting ride, so much lighter than the T160, but much busier due to the large rear sprocket....... there's nothing quite like the howl it makes.

I bought the Fat Bob another shed companion. It's not a Bonnie. ;)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Those BMW knee shields were the Biz - with one major flaw: rainwater would flow down to the bottom edge, then run off - straight onto your boot! It was like a tap being 'on'.
The remedy was to cut and fit a piece of car mudflap and clip it to the bottom edge, wedging it between the rocker cover and cylinder head fins, you can see it in the image. Also, the 'under cylinder' deflector pad (Beemer accessory) is fitted beneath the barrels, they kept a lot of water off the feet from the front wheel. Dual horns to adminster heart attacks for recalcitrant pedestrians, electronic ignition replacing the points and capacitor. Twin discs but not brilliant. Nice bike overall, a bit on the 'wide' side for filtering, but soul-less. Replaced it with a Guzzi. Winter riding saw monster muffs fitted with heated grips. Toasty warm! Thems were the days . . .

Looks like a Klingon battle cruiser, bits sprouting from everywhere.
I bet if Edward Turner took a look at that, he'd kick it to the floor and walk away.

Sorry to be a bit 'down' on the GS, but my old R80/7 was very tidy in comparison, though not a beauty by any means.
(As sold with 211,000 miles on the clock).

You're not wrongt, they're ugly as sin, :LOL: definitely a case of function over form. However, I know it's always going to start, keep going, stop and hopefully nothing will fall off. Couldn't say that for my old T140 or a few of the dubious Japanese bikes I've had over the years.

Talking of 7 series airheads, Many years ago I had an R100/7 with an RS fairing and bars fitted. Two extremely long, cold and arduous journeys from the South coast to Scotland in the depths of winter gave me a deep appreciation for German engineering and wind tunnels, I believe BMW were the first to use a wind tunnel to design the RS fairing. I think that's where my 'fascination' for Teutonic efficiency came from, that bike never missed a beat in well over 2,000 miles of truly shitty weather.

Full service completed on my FX650 winter hack. Will be up for sale end of April
Looks too tidy to be a winter hack! Oddly enough I was looking for a 650 single for blatting around the lanes locally, I went through them all, SLR, NX Dominator,XL, XR Yam XT, XTZ, TT, Suzuki DR, Freewind, Kawasaki KLR etc etc.... Never occured to look for an FX. Ended up with an 1150GS ..... Ah well. Next year maybe. :rolleyes: Good luck with the sale, big singles seem to command strong money atm.(y)

Cheers Martz. It's been well protected each winter. Just de winterised it this week and found that the ACF has done its job again.

After last Sundays off-road excursion :LOL: through the Wye Valley thought Id better try and clean the rear up a bit. The rear chrome wheel came up a treat after a quick spray with Wonder Wheels colour change stuff ( The only wonder wheels safe on chrome).
IMG_2395.jpeg

productive past few days on the shovel.
previous works; new chain, sprockets, primary-belt and a bearing for the starter/trans support-plate. didn't really need it, but whilst i was in there.
made a skirt for the seat to close up the gap a little. it sits quite high unloaded, but once i get my frame on it, it lowers significantly.

past few days:
adjusted chain tension, align wheels.
finished off-side tank repair, after it was found to be weeping at a weld (pinhole). repainted it.
drain and flush trans, new oil.
drain flush oil-tank, new oil. i remove the return oil-line into tank and run it until new oil comes through to get all the old shit from the filter, cooler and lines etc. and top up as required. then fit a new remote filter.
cleaned up the rockers and carb dashpot whilst all exposed, they had become quite oxidized over the past few years.
refitted the tanks and seat.
gave it a good wipe down, it had got very dusty due to previous works.

IMG_8405.JPG

pretty much ready to go now; refit saddlebags, toolkits, give it a once-over.
i hadn't started it or used it for a long time, simply busy elsewhere.
but after tickling the carb (SU), priming the engine, it started up pretty much straight away. it sits on-charge with an optimate.
i won't be using it anytime soon, i'm in prague next week, then away with work from april until end of june.
but when i get back i have a few days for final checks, load up and i'm off to flugplatz bienenfarm on the outskirts of berlin for the shovel rally.
all good (y).

I couldn't afford one either, that's why mines a genuine replica. I'd run out of space and losing 2 bikes and replacing with one made sense. The X75 is an interesting ride, so much lighter than the T160, but much busier due to the large rear sprocket....... there's nothing quite like the howl it makes.
Simon, a bit late in responding --
You have just upgraded a slight back of the mind irritation into a major itch!
Bum!

Back